How to Bend Rear Quarter Lip For Tire Clearance??

-

Moparaley

Reaction score
Would like to bend that inner lip of the quarter upward on my 69 Barracuda. These 295 50/15's with Cragars are very close to rubbing. Anyone at home do this successfully without burgering their quarter up?

Thanks.

Jack the rearend of the car up so you get a bigger gap between the top of the tire and the 1/4 then stick a wooden baseball bat in there, lower the car so there's pressure on the bat, put the car in neutral and roll it back and forth, folding the lip.

*disclaimer* I've never done this myself but have been told by numerous people that it works well and is probably the method I would/will use.

The bat trick will work, kind of. It will usually wreck your paint around the wheel opening. Also it has a tendency to flare or pull your fender outwards a bit. I've heard of and seen pictures of it creasing the panel above the opening as it rolls the back across the fender. If there is any filler in there you would probably find it quickly!

The right way to do it would be to get a proper tool like a fender roller. A friend of mine has one that I've helped him do several cars with. I've done a few cars myself including my own and it's a very simple tool to use. If you get the paint hot to the touch with a heat gun, it'll soften up enough to keep it from cracking IF you go slowly. The lips on my BMW are completely flat with the inner wheel well there no way it can cut a tire. We've only messed with the roller on Japanese and Euro cars with much thinner gauge metal, but that shouldn't matter except for more time involved. They aren't too expensive to outright purchase. And my friend has paid for his multiple times over by renting it out locally or doing people's cars for them. It's a sweet little money maker.

http://www.urotuning.com/Fender-Rol...r_Rental.htm?gclid=CNPZ8fH068gCFY0AaQodIHwB9A

I trimmed the lip with a sawzall and then smoothed it with a small sanding disc. Just enough to get a bit more clearance and eliminate the sharp edge. I was slow and carful not to overheat the area and mess up the paint.

Actually, Eastwood products sells an affordable lip roller.. Seen similar more expensive tools work well. Done the " baseball bat " gig, kind of looks crude.( personal opine)...

I'll see if I can procure a fender roller. Bat trick does sound like it could flex the quarter out too.

Put an add out on craigslist. I'm sure that someone local to you has one. Or better yet... Go to an import car show/meet and ask the guys that have very low cars with wide wheels. It's a must do modification in the import stance/flush scene.

I narrowed my rearend to fit 4.5 backspace wheels.

I ordered some 5/16" spacers from Summit. I have about 2/16" gap between the tire and leaf now. I wonder if the approximate 1/2" gap will be enough?

I removed the wheel lip trim, grabbed the lip with slip joint pliers and got it started and then worked it slowly with a hammer. When I was done I trimmed the wheel lip trim where it was rolled (cut out about the center three screw holes) and reinstalled it. I have some pictures on my camera but not here.

How about putting some tires on that fit rather than damaging your body? Makes more sense doesn't it? Guarantee that a couple 255's or 275's are way cheaper than body work and paint should you butcher the job.

View from the other side.....:D

-
Back