How to check neutral safety switch

-

downsr

Reaction score
I have a rebuilt 727 getting ready to install.How can you check the 3 prong neutral safety switch.I have a meter to ohm it with but dont know what pins should have continuity when in park or neutral

^^ and the center pin is grounded in park or neutral ^^ Outer pins are reverse lamps

Exactly. In reverse, the two outer pins should have continuity to each other

Exactly. In reverse, the two outer pins should have continuity to each other
I check from center pin of nss with the lever in park or neutral there is no continuity between the pin and the case.The electrical connector is unplugged from the nss

Does it change when you put the shift lever in to another position like the drive gears? We chased a NSS problem in our 67 cuda drag car for years and checked the NSS on the tranny this way when we finally got mad enough at it.

Just went through this kind of. Got a new trans and it came with a three pin switch also. Long story short they put in the wrong rooster tail in the trans. Just my .02

Just went through this kind of. Got a new trans and it came with a three pin switch also. Long story short they put in the wrong rooster tail in the trans. Just my .02
That is what i am afraid of.So you should show continuity between the case and center pin when in park or neutral.I do not have that.It does show continuity between the 2 outside pins when in reverse which it should.Just trying to make sure i am checking it correctly.Need to sort this out before putting the trans in

If you have the pan off look at the pic. Need the one on the right side

NSSwitches[1].jpg
This is the info on it. back up lights on in reverse and drive positions Page1 - Mopar Muscle MagazineForums at Hot Rod Magazine Magazine

When you are checking the switch, are you pushing in the contact ball on the switch at the same time? If I remember correctly, it produces a ground from the switch body to the center prong.

When you are checking the switch, are you pushing in the contact ball on the switch at the same time? If I remember correctly, it produces a ground from the switch body to the center prong.
I checked to the body of the sensor to middle prong and moved it to rev and park no continuity .I am going to take it out and replace it with a new one when i get home the pan is on the trans just had it all redone trying to make sure this switch is working before i put it in

-
Back