how to decode the sequence number

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
ok, I have decoded most of the vin # but cannot find out about the last 6 numbers on the vin that tell me when the car was built. can someone help me with these last 6 numbers. 328531. Thanks,Bill

That's an 'arbitrary' number assigned to the vehicle while it is going through edit.

All orders are sent through edit before they are scheduled for the assembly line. Then wait in a pool until they are scheduled for production.

Contrary to popular belief, the sequence number is not the order that they come down the assembly line. Sometimes you can find some with sequential numbers on the line, but not often.

The car first goes through the body shop where the sheet metal is assembled/welded.

If any repairs are needed before paint, it goes to the repair area, when the "good" ones go right through to paint shop. - One area to get out of sequence.

Then there may be a paint repair if something happens in the paint shop. - another area to get out of sequence. Or if there is a two tone paint, they loop through twice where monotone paint goes through once. - more potential to get out of sequence before assembly.

Then it comes out of paint to the assembly line. If any repairs are needed/unfinished jobs at the end of the line, then it gets sent to another repair area while the good ones go to the "final line" and then to the " shipping line" where they are then driven out of the assembly plant and into the shipping lot at the factory. Once this happens, as far as the books are concerned they are now owned by the shipping company until they arrive to the dealer. To pull a vehicle back into the assembly plant after it has been driven out to the shipping lot requires a manager level approval.

There are many ways that the sequence numbers can get out of order when the vehicle is built. It does not indicate the order that they went down the assembly line.

It is basically the order that they go through edit, not the assembly line.

There is a sticker on the DS door that shows the month and the fender tag shows the date to the day usually, my demon was built April 2nd 71. Keep in mind that is the scheduled production date nobody really knows if it was built that day for sure. The last numbers of the vin have no real info other than to see a match to eng trans.

Each factory's Vin last 6 except in a few instances start at 100001. So a VIN with the last 6 of 328531 would be the 228,530 car off that factories assembly line.

Also, you can tell from a car that has a high number like your V.I.N. is, you can be assured that it was built later on in the production year. (at that plant).
Remember, all cars built at that plant are included in the sequence that they were coming down the line (in general) and a Fury, Road Runner, Valiant, or whatever could possibly be sequential numbered cars.
However, they usually did build them in batches of similar cars though for the simple fact it was easier for the line workers to assemble them more quickly.

Also, you can tell from a car that has a high number like your V.I.N. is, you can be assured that it was built later on in the production year. (at that plant).
Remember, all cars built at that plant are included in the sequence that they were coming down the line (in general) and a Fury, Road Runner, Valiant, or whatever could possibly be sequential numbered cars.
However, they usually did build them in batches of similar cars though for the simple fact it was easier for the line workers to assemble them more quickly.

not necessarily. It depends on the manufacturer.

Honda likes to build in batches of identical cars back to back. (I believe in batches of 60 or so the same color).

Chrysler likes to "mix it up", to keep the line workers alert and paying attention to the build sheet/computer screen.

The cars were not built in VIN order as stated previously.

Hamtramck as an example had two assembly lines, did they build odd number VIN cars on one line & even on the other and ensure that they were built in exact VIN order?

Nope.

Cars with VINs very close together at times were not even built the same month! The dates on the Mylar door stickers show the actual build month, so if you see enough of them this becomes very obvious.

I will check that door and take a pic of the fender tag tomorrow and see if you guys can help me figure this out. That way I will know how to check the other two. I should be able to post some pics too. it is off the trailer but have a funeral to go to tonight. Thanks, Bill

ok, here is a pic of the fender tag. I didn't find any numbers on the inside of the door of glove box. what can you tell me about the fender tag that may tell when it was built. thanks

Attachments

• DSC07478.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 470
The date on the fender tag is the scheduled production date - the date they HOPED to build the car when the order was first entered into the system.

I have a good example here, my 1970 Valiant 4-door was scheduled for April 3, 1970 but the Mylar door sticker shows that it was built in March. So, for some reason it was built ahead of schedule.

By looking at the date codes on the original parts, it must have been made in the last ten days of March, but there is no way to know the exact build date.

finally had time to pull the back seat out and guess what I found. build sheet.

Attachments

• DSC07486.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 439
-
Back