How to fill up without getting it on the damn car?

-

TripleJackInGA

Master of None
Reaction score
OK, so we all know the filler necks on these cars are about as different from today's average car as they can be. Instead of immediately going downward at about a 45-degree angle, they go straight in from the side of the car about 12 inches, then turn down into the tank inside the trunk.

With the nozzles now in use at more and more gas stations, that have the freaking collars that go damn near to the end of them, it creates a couple of issues.
One regional gas station chain that I frequent (Flash Foods) uses different styles at different locations. I don't think there's any reason for this, other than what was available when that station was built, regulations at the time, etc..
So at one location I go by (which is a newer station), they use nozzles that have a shorter collar. With this style, I can hold the nozzle to the side, and usually very little 'weeps' down the side, if any. The problem is that if I let it fill up all the way, I get a nice gush of gas down the side of the car, and of course there's about $2 worth of spilled gas.
At the location I use most, which is an older location, they use the nozzles that have collars almost all the way to the end. These are a *HUGE* pain in the ***. It doesn't matter what angle I hold it at. I get small amounts of gas 'weeping' out from around the collar, and if I try to pump it as fast as it will go, it always cuts off in like 2 seconds, so it takes forever.

What do you guys do to combat these 2 problems, short of converting to a B-body tank that exits behind the plate?
One of these days I'll get this thing painted, and I'll be damned if I'm going to have gas spilling all over a new paint job.

we have the long cover things here in AZ and i never have a weeping problem unless i keep clicking it off after it is full....

i just put it on the first "lock" for slow fill and just hold the nozzle flat or slightly downward...

I have to pull the "foreskin" back and invert the nozzle upside down to fill my '65. Slow fill didnt trigger the vapor recovery cutoff, but I had to keep an eye on the quantity so I wouldnt overfill. I bought it with a peeled paint trail down the side of the car from the cap so its been an issue for a long time.

Mine is not as thoughtout. I look at my gas gauge if I need ten gallons I watch the pump and stop at about eight and I always keep a rag pressed at the filler hole while I'm pumping just in case.

I put my ear buy the pump and listen for the sound of the gas coming up in to the filler tube.

This is what I do. Of course a Harley motorcycle ALWAYS cruises by just at that critical moment. :roll:

If it's any compensation, I've spilled a lot of gas down the side of my Duster over the years and it's never affected the paint. In fact, it's helped remove some of the rubber from the quarter panel on that side, lol.

I never fill any of my A-body cars up. Half tank would be max.
Other than that, be very, very, careful.

What ever you do don't let any gas jockey near it and I also listen for the gurgle also.

No problems with mine overfilling, even if someone from the station pumps it. But when they pump it they never shake it when its done and it dribbles on the side.

I never fill any of my A-body cars up. Half tank would be max.
Other than that, be very, very, careful.

Thats usually what i do, although i take it to about 3/4 tank. I learned to do this the hard way.

Its my excuse to eventually put in a fuel cell.

I have a trunk mounted 15 Gallon fuel cell. No worries here I can just pop the trunk and open the cap and see how much gas I got. I don't even need a sending unit. I left the tube on the car for looks only. Nice thing is I can pull in to the pump from any direction. I get a lot of strange looks when I pull my car up to the pump and the cap is facing the wrong direction. Also having the fuel call in the trunk eliminates the chances of anyone siphoning out the gas.

In other words. All we can do is be very damn careful. I filled my car up one night around 2am. It ran over as usual and i wiped it off as i always have. well, this go around i woke up the next morning to go to work and the paint was bubbled.... i almost cried.

I've had the best luck keeping the key on "accessory" and filling slowly until the gas gauge is just below full. I NEVER push the "boot" aganst the fuel tube or gas wicks all around it and runs down. I have a local station that works the best, and they have 94 on hand.

When I drive my car, which is a couple days a week, I fill it up every night on the way home. It takes about $20 to fill it up from a drive to work and back and I never have any spilling problems even at full lock. It will not take any additional to make the dollars even, though. When it shuts off, it is full.

I put one of my terry cloth towels between the nozzle and filler tube. I then wrap it around so it completely covers the area. I set the nozzle on slow fill and remove it when it clicks off. As I pull the nozzle out I wrap it in the towel until it's away from the car. This has worked great for me so far.

-
Back