How to fix outlet?

-
Those are soldered. I'm not trying to be smart, but if you have to ask, you shouldn't.

Any decent rad shop should be able to reinstall that for a minimum (small phenomenal) fee

The few radiator shops near me are all the same. Repair, pressure test, new radiator cap, is standard baseline service offed at 55.00

Thought they might be soldered but wasn't sure since there's absolutely n trace of solder in the outlet area. Thanks guys.

I could do it for you easy enough, but the gas here and back would make it not worth it.:D
A rad shop could do it in about 5 min.

soldered with a torch, flux, and solder, just like plumbing.... except don't get it too hot or you'll ruin the seal on the tank!

The big difference between a rad and piping is corrosion, dirt and grease, road grime. It's a whole different ball game. Like I said, "if you have to ask."

You need to get it CLEAN

You need a good acid FLUX

You actually "could" use electrical / electronics solder.

You can damage the 'ell out of a core with just a prop-- Pane torch and prop -- Pane accessories

StrickLand_Propane.jpg

You'll have to get it clean, clean, clean. Heat it up with torch and wire brush the crud off, put flux on and heat and wire brush again. You'll have to get the pores of the metal clean and "open" for the solder to flow into.

I think now would be a good time to get a rad shop to boil it out n repair it... Lol
I got to lookin through my stash of radiators last night (3 or 4) and I have a small one with the same inlet/outlet locations but is a lot narrower. I'll work till I get my big one fixed as all I'll be doin in the next few months is running it in my shop... Still gotta get the trans installed, go through the rear end and brakes and cut the driveshaft to length b4 I'll be able to drive it.

I work with guy that did radiators 20 years ago. We have talked about this kind of thing. the potential for really screwing things up is very high if you don't know what you are doing. Mainly the loss of heat control and tubes becoming unsoldered.

If this happens, an amateur has dug a hole he can't get out of.

I work with guy that did radiators 20 years ago. We have talked about this kind of thing. the potential for really screwing things up is very high if you don't know what you are doing. Mainly the loss of heat control and tubes becoming unsoldered.

If this happens, an amateur has dug a hole he can't get out of.

The trick is to use no more heat that it takes to flow the solder where you are working.
Sometimes a wet rag helps to keep the heat from traveling into other soldered areas and undoing things.

-
Back