How to get the gunk off?

-

DaveZee

SoCal Mopar Guy
Reaction score
The father-in-law and I put in some good hours on the Dart this weekend. Changed the trunk seal, replaced a broken stud on the back wheel, replaced the valve cover gaskets, which were leaking like a sieve, and rebuilt the carb. I also slid under the engine to see if there were any other leak spots. Besides the oil pan drain plug leaking, I couldn't see any other leaks. What I did see was about 15 years worth of oil, grease, grime, and who knows what else on the exhaust manifolds and the bottom of the motor. What should I use to get all this gunk off, so my car doesn't smoke like crazy as soon as the manifolds heat up?

Thanks for the info!

DaveZee

There are numerous products to use.go to Wallmart and get some GUNK it is a engine cleaner,I would get about 2 cans of it! Then go to a local carwash and raise the hood,spray the gunk all over the greasy areas,insert some coins after the gunk sets for about 5 minutes then wash it down really good with the carwash wand.Be sure to cover the distributor with a plastic bag to keep moisture out. Or go to someone that does steam cleaning and let them do it.

I cleaned my engine compartment with this stuff called "Grez-off" It says in the upper right corner a "Spray nine brand". (?) On the back labelwww.spraynine.com I think located in PO Box 290 Johnstown, N.Y. 12095, (so sez the label,)
(800)-477-7299 or fax 581-762-2566

It was excellent in it's grease cutting power, it took a untouched '74 Duster engine bay from it's 32 year old grease covered bay right down to the paint where I just touched it up with a light compounding, wash and wax.
It also seriously degreased the plastic overflow and wiper fluid bottle well. Though it didn't turn it white again, it does look very good.
The only tool you'll need is a varity of soft (Brass) brush's to get the tuff grease broken up and off the body paint rubber lines electrical parts etc.....
This stuff I highly recomend. It didn't harm distort disfigure melt or harm any part under the hood.
Though I think you'll like gloves.
Use water to wash off.Heres a couple of posts on before and after shots.

The fire wall is half done (Passenger) half not (Drivers) to show what was one suqirting that covered and scrubed with a plastic nail/hand brush like you sometimes get with GO-JO or Fast Orange hand cleaner.

The grease was so thick at some points, like lays level on the car, frame rails, K frame etc.... I had to use a paint scraper to scrape up sometimes more than an inch of grease and dirt.

100_1054.JPG

100_1058.JPG

100_1035.JPG

100_1040.JPG

100_1049.JPG

100_1048.JPG

100_1043.JPG

100_1046.JPG

Thanks for the great info, guys! Never been looking so forward to doing some cleaning! :)

wow that looks great :thumbup: :tongue9: i remember when i did this to my dart but all i had was a very old air compresser/water line pressure washer really old, and had to take rubbing compound to the whole engine bay man it looked good but it was sure tough i wish i knew about this kinda stuff hah

72dustyer said:
I hope that was your neighbor's driveway you degreased in Rumblefish!
NOPE! My driveway and the grease didn't stick around.

-
Back