how to get vehicles/parts across the border....legally

-

rbkt65

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
was looking at a valiant in parts cars for sale and was just wondering how much of a hassle it is to get stuff across the border. i guess parts would not be too bad as you could put them in truck if small enough. how do you get a body or running unit across Canadian/us border? i have heard horror stories about the bs customs makes you go thru. 2 years ago, the flyin fins were here fir drag week and then when they shipped car home, it had to be drained of everything, like a dead body. just curious as to the laws.

My brother bought a drag car we picked up in Ontario. We had it on an open trailer and crossed into NY and the customs never questioned it. We even accidentally went through the truck lanes.

The best advice is to call customs before you go.

Have your paper work in order and make sure you either have a pass port or enhanced drivers license.

Others have posted resources and info on how to get a car across the border. Getting a car with a VIN across the border, either north or south, is a routine occurrence that isn’t painful as long as one follows the rules/procedures. Not following the rules will lead to frustration but that would be on you as the authorities publicize what needs to be done to get it across the border.

Importing a vehicle - Transport Canada

Pre clearing is the best move to ease the crossing.

Small parts. Have bill of sale or receipt and claim the total. You will only have to pay tax on the value. I believe its 13%
Also your allowed to return with $300 per person on a 24 hour visit

Thats for bring U.S. stuff into Canada. I believe to op is doing the opposite.

www.google.com
Type in something along the lines of importing car to United States
Click on the US Customs and Border Protection link for instructions/details

Last edited:
I brought my disassembled car from the US to Canada with no problems at all. Research the requirements, follow the rules and be totally honest. It should not likely be a problem.

Cley

I looked into importing an old Mini from Ireland: Nightmare, DOT cert would cost $$$, gave up. Looked again into importing a newer diesel BMW 3 series. You cant! Has to be 25 years or older.

-
Back