How to grind rust in roof Drip Rail

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
So on the 66 dart, which has been repainted a few times, I removed all the ruined seam sealer at the roof drip edge. And found some rust right on the inside corner of the drip rail to the roof. I tried my 2in wire wheel, and it is not doing anything to it. I bought the 4.5in flapper sanding/polishing 80grit wheel for my angle grinder, and it can not get inside the corner, and can hardly even fit in the drip rail channel. Is there something else that can get in there? I do have a multi dremel tool with the triangle head, they do make a grinder disk for it, will that work?
I suppose last resort is to just use the angle grinder with normal grinder disc, but I am afraid it is going to go too deep and cause more damage. Ideally I am just wanting to grind out the rust, prime it then reseam seal it. I do not want to have to do bondo. Any ideas? yes I've tried a screwdriver to chisel but not working.

dripedge rust.JPG

So on the 66 dart, which has been repainted a few times, I removed all the ruined seam sealer at the roof drip edge. And found some rust right on the inside corner of the drip rail to the roof. I tried my 2in wire wheel, and it is not doing anything to it. I bought the 4.5in flapper sanding/polishing 80grit wheel for my angle grinder, and it can not get inside the corner, and can hardly even fit in the drip rail channel. Is there something else that can get in there? I do have a multi dremel tool with the triangle head, they do make a grinder disk for it, will that work?
I suppose last resort is to just use the angle grinder with normal grinder disc, but I am afraid it is going to go too deep and cause more damage. Ideally I am just wanting to grind out the rust, prime it then reseam seal it. I do not want to have to do bondo. Any ideas? yes I've tried a screwdriver to chisel but not working.

View attachment 1715187036

You don't necessarily have to remove every bit of rust. The trick is to neutralize the rust to stop the rust from spreading. You're going to put seal sealer in the gutter anyway so what's the point in removing good metal just to get to the bottom of the little rust pits??
You are going to use seam sealer to fill the gutter???

Eliminating rust before painting

Ospho

treblig

Last edited:

View attachment 1715187036
3m makes sanding wheels/paint strippers that work in a hand held drill that work very well for that

Portable/hand held sandblaster.
I set a box over blasting area to contain the sand when doing it indoors. I tape a window to it, and a hole for my arm. Keeps the sand outta my shorts...

When I cleaned mine up I used these, it's what I had on hand that would work, lol.

These here dohickies. Sandpaper rolls for head porting.

upload_2018-6-13_13-21-21.jpeg

Tape off the ends, fill it with evaporust, cover with saran wrap, 24 hours later rust is gone. I use it all the time, stuff works great.

Thanks so much for all these great ideas. I am planning on filling the rail with seam sealer, leaving about 1/4in at the top. I ordered a 4in wire wheel for my grinder, see if that will do it. I also am going to mess with my dremel tool and use the small grinder bits. The main rust I want to remove is anything that would show after I seam seal. there are like hard pimples of rust, that are black so i am thinkg someone must have used convertor on it at some point. Right on the roof edge as is goes up from the drip rail. if I can know those out, then seam seal it, I think it will be hidden.

REaly didn't think of this when I first commented but my next build will have shaved drip rails. Love the look. check out daddy daves new car. I've seen a bunch of them done lately and they look so clean and nice.

-
Back