How to install new seat covers?

-

dusterny

Reaction score
I striped old seat covers off and I see the tabs on the back of the cover with the metal rods in it. When installing new covers do you hog ring this metal rod down in the foam? How do you know how to locate it? seams like you could missaline this pretty easy. These covers will be on buckets. Thanks for any help.

If your using new foam you will have to cut a channel.

If your using old foam the you push the rods down into the existing slot and hog ring them. Do them first then go around the rest of the seat with the hog rings...you should be able to test fit the seat cover on then lift the corner and mark it with a sharpie....they give so you can manipulate the vinyl while your installing them.

One more tip. If possible do this outside in the sun or let your seat cover warm up in the sun/dryer for a few before you start stretching.

Good luck.

Mop

Those are the listing wires . They have to be pulled down thru the slots in the foam and hog-ringed to the seat frame giving the seat the pleated look . Not to hard if using the old foam but a real bear with new foam .

This is unconventional but I have done many of my own seats this way without issue...... I do not use hog rings, I use zip ties (the ones that are about 1' long not the tinny ones).

Also have a hair dryer handy.

The zip ties allow you to fit the cover with slack, then evenly tighten the ties. They also make attaching the wires to the frame, through the foam, very easy.

This is unconventional but I have done many of my own seats this way without issue...... I do not use hog rings, I use zip ties (the ones that are about 1' long not the tinny ones).

The zip ties allow you to fit the cover with slack, then evenly tighten the ties. They also make attaching the wires to the frame, through the foam, very easy.

Never thought of that. That's a great idea. If I ever do it again I'll try that.

Thanks!

I am using old foam and I see they hog ringed these wires to foam which looks like a chore. The zip tie method looks alot easier to do thanks for the great tip. I am going to give it a try when Ledgendary has covers on sale. Thanks for all the input!

I told my wife i wanted to use zip ties instead of hog rings and she thought i was crazy! I'll have to tell her it actually works. I use those things for everything. Thanks

-
Back