How to Measure for the correct back spacing?

-

Jeffs73

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am ordering 15x8 steel wheels from wheel vintiques. I am not sure if I need to order the 4 or 4 1/2 back spacing? They are going on a 1973 duster. The rear suspension is completely original. I want to put a 255 70 15 tire on as well. Is there a way I can measure for what back spacing will work? Or if you guys already know I would appreciate the help. Thank you

4.5" is very very close (maybe will hit) on my 69 Cuda with an 8.75" rear axle assembly. I have 255-60-R15 tires that are 10" wide at their max width. 4.5" backspacing appears to me that the tire will hit the spring so I ordered 4.25" from WV.
Tom

April 2010 Mopar Muscle. If you have it or can get it online there is a tech article that tells you step by step so you can get an exact number. They even turn you on to a couple of people who can custom make your wheels to exactly what you want, if that's your thing.

Article name: " Stuffin' A Fatty" LOL

Very easy to figure out. Jack the car up and put stands under the axle. Take a rear wheel off and place a straight edge across the front of the drum on the flat part that is sandwiched between the wheel and axle hub. Measure from the straight edge to the leaf spring and that will give you what you have for space. Now don't forget that you have to account for tire bulge and also spring flex. You should have a minimum of a .5" between the tire and the spring.

Hope this helped

Thank you every one. I went ahead and order the 4.5 back spacing

I had no problem with sizing my wheels for my car using my method. the best part is ITS FREE!

I'm really proud of you. But the leaf spring isn't always the only obstacle. You ever use the Percy tool? Once you do, you'll wonder why the hell you did it any other way.

I'm really proud of you. But the leaf spring isn't always the only obstacle. You ever use the Percy tool? Once you do, you'll wonder why the hell you did it any other way.

I understand that there are other obstacles. In the rear though the leaf spring is closer to the end of the axle then the inner wheel well. the only other obstacle in this case would be the inner lip of the quarter panel.

I understand that there are other obstacles. In the rear though the leaf spring is closer to the end of the axle then the inner wheel well. the only other obstacle in this case would be the inner lip of the quarter panel.

We don't know your exact configurations, but there are a few things that can get in the way including exhaust pipes on occasion.

We don't know your exact configurations, but there are a few things that can get in the way including exhaust pipes on occasion.

I've never seen any vehicle that had the exhaust ran from inside the leaf spring, over the axle, and then to the outside of the leafspring? It would make no sense and more than likely it would cause interference with a stock wheel and tire.

-
Back