How to paint hood?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I am getting my hood scoop soon, and I would like to paint it flat black. I have thought about it, and decided to paint the whole hood flat black.
Since I have never done this before, How do I go about doing this?

I have to sand the whole hood down don't I? Can I use an electric sander for this? What grit paper do I use? Do I then prime it, and paint it?

Thanks!

have it professionally done, dont rattle can it. it will look terrible. but if u want too use 80 then 120

I agree. Have it professionally done, it may be cheaper in the long run. If you must do it your self, you should remove the top layer of paint, as least to the primer. An orbital sander works very well for paint removal. You should re-prime it, and work your way down by grit size to about 600 grit, to get out all the scratches. It's then ready for paint. You could then take it to a body shop, and they could shoot it. Have you thought about a "satin black"? Easier to keep clean. Good luck. Howard

How much do you think it cost for a shop to do it? $500.00?? You think they'd install the scoop at that price then to?

but if u want too use 80 then 120

NO NO NO NO

there is no reason to go that extream unless you are doing body work.

I assume the hood is in decent shape?

if so scuff it and seal it then use orgasinal or use a gloss base with a flat clear. It looks really good and doesn't get dirty. Do not use fizz can, it will look like total crap.
if you sand it yourself use 320 dry (long board like a durablock) or 600 wet(with a durablock foam block) . I like to personaly like to dry sand.

A body shop would be able to to it best.

centauri from dupont is real good.as said above 180 the whole hood and then 320 and 400 wet. seal it and shoot it.

make sure you use a board to sand with or a foam block. I use 180 wrapped around a paint stick. It takes longer but the finished product looks good. after the 180 you can see the high and low spots. you can use a 2k primer to fill some of the low spots. after you get it straight with the 180 go to 320 and prime again then use 600 wet sand then paint it. use a good gun and take your time. If you have the equipment do it yourself, and you can say you did it and not paid somebody to do it.
My dad always said that if somebody else can do it you can to, maybe not as fast but take your time and you can get the same results.
hope this helps and good luck

In N.C. you can get a hood painted for $125.00. Check around where you are and see what you might find. If the first paint shop is high keep knocking on doors.
Good Luck.

If you use an actual "flat" finish, you'll kick yourself later........

"Hot Rod" black is much better.......it takes wax, it's a "flat" looking finish (actually eggshell), and won't discolor when you wipe stains and dirt off the hood.

-
Back