How to plan my project ?

-

sic71dart

Reaction score
It has been awhile for me (almost two years) since I have made much of any real progress on my car. I had some money trouble and now finally I have gotten the cash together to begin to start working on my car again. There is a lot to be done though and want to ask for advice on a plan of attack so to speak. I will be setting my car up to run low 11s/high 10s on a good day as a street strip car. My car if you have not guessed is a 71 Dart, currently I have a mild 318/904 which will be replaced with a 439 stroker motor and a built 727 tranny with maybe a gear vendors overdrive later down the line. Its currently got an 8 3/4 with 3.91s, SS leaf springs, BFG 235 T/A drag radials, 4 wheel disk brakes, with the original stock slant 6 torsion bars. My plans for it now include the following:

727 tranny, 3000ish rpm converter, floor shifter... possible gear vendors and aluminum drive shaft

BeCool radiator with duel electric fans

fuel cell, 1/2 inch sending unit, half inch fuel line with a 160 gpm edelbrock fuel pump, holley fuel pressure regulator

Corbeua bucket seats replacing the stock bench, probably removal of backseat and replaced with some simple carpet or something,new carpeting,miscellaneous odds and ends (bulbs, dome light cover etc)

New dash,possible restored instrument panel and/or aftermarket gauges, might go with a different steering column since mine car is a column shifter

I would like to rewire the car or at least some of it, replace voltage regulator, put battery in trunk (already have the kit for that)

Probably due to lack of vacuum swap to manual brakes but retain the 4 wheel disks obviously

Will need more tire in back (maybe 245s or 255s?) pinion snubber as well

Of course a roll cage, subframe connectors and maybe torque boxes for added rigidity

Fiberglass hood and then a decent paint job

So as you can see this is quite a project for me to undertake? What do you recommend I do first? Should I start with the rollcage, subframe connectors and then with the interior gutted work on the dash, electrical etc? Or the other way around? I want to paint it last and probably put the motor in towards the end of things but I wanted to get input from people here who have tackled this already.

-
Back