How to plan...

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I just found what I need to do to help get me out of this depression,I need some advice on how to do this.
How to plan a car build,what do you do step by step,where do you start?

If I can figure this out, it would be a big help. I have about 16 years worth of magazines that I can go through to get idea's that are easy to do and plan for them. I would like to go Pro Touring with my Charger but there are somethings I can't afford or they don't make for it like the k member.I also know I can weld up my k member and make a few mods to it to help in the handling.

i always start out by writing on a piece of in fender tag format and build sheet format the options i want....if its something custom then i make up a code for it......thats how the factory built our cars, as its coming up the line they look at the printout and and put the parts specified.

i would assemble the car completely with all the parts that are going to be permanant and do mods at that time ...that way all bolts are there ...everything fits ....then i disasseble again after everything is complete and fits and start resto

you dont want to be doing mods and changing things after the paint has started to fly

I find that if I get a piece of bristle board and list all the things I need to do to a project and cross them off as completed not only shows we what I need to accomplish but also what I have gotten done which helps to keep me motivated. Also I find it helps if I do something each day even if it is a very minor thing. If a project sits too much I very quickly lose interest so anthing no matter how small keeps the project moving and me motivated. It works for me. Just remember these words:

How do you eat an Elephant- one bite at a time!

first I would get it driveable. It doesn't have to get you cross country but around town. Being able to drive it is a crucial part of not being depressed about it or losing total motivation on the project. Try and do your BIG projects over winter when you won't be driving anyway. do the smaller projects during the summer months.

Also don't make one big list for everything. Make a small list for what your currently doing.

Hey rebel I am kinda like that with my car now where do I start on the putting it back together body done engine done Trans done front suspension done but nothing is together I don't want to assemble it then have to take it apart but your deal sounds cool be sure and post pictures when you finalize your build.

First look at what you have to work with.
Second decide what you want to accomplish within a certain time frame.
Third be realistic as to what you can afford in regard to what you wish to accomplish.

Then whatever you decide take pictures before you take anything apart,and only work on one thing at a time so you don't get overwhelmed.

Remember it's a hobby not a job. You are doing this to relieve stress not create more. If it stops becoming fun step back calm down and go back when your head is clear.

Cliff I have been over ten years on my latest and last project.
I could have done it in a year if I wanted it to be a job.
I do it to relax.

I start at the rear and work my way forward. Lay out your goals and what you need to get there. Then work from the rear axle forward that way if you can't get something done you at least have the ability to handle more later.

I,m not sure if your mobile or chair bound at this time Cliff?With it being winter time,you can start with small stuff..Like gathering all nuts/bolts,clips,bumper bolts and brackets and start getting them rust free clean'soaking,painted for when assembling time starts.These are the much needed small things you can spend time with and will keep your mind busy too.Good luck with whatever you choose,just try to stay busy and you,ll get a bunch accomplished.:D

I maybe starting starting with the floor board. I just hope it is the right place to start.
Here is a link on my car and I will take fresh pictures tomorrow. Ideally I want to start with the front and work my way back .I have several people tell me to start with the floors first.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=194278

the great thing about projects like these is there is no right or wrong answer.......getting started on any part of it is still getting started.

in this case there are a lot of different ways to bacon .......either way it still gets cooked.

Buying parts always makes me feel good, its something to look forward to when the come in the mail

I think you might want to find another car as that is a whole lot of rust showing. I have to wonder how much rust you don't see. Looks like you will be replacing most of the sheet metal $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I,m not sure if your mobile or chair bound at this time Cliff?With it being winter time,you can start with small stuff..Like gathering all nuts/bolts,clips,bumper bolts and brackets and start getting them rust free clean'soaking,painted for when assembling time starts.These are the much needed small things you can spend time with and will keep your mind busy too.Good luck with whatever you choose,just try to stay busy and you,ll get a bunch accomplished.:D

Thanks Scott,I do have a few small projects I can do like the steering column,then I will have to stop on that because my steering wheel is the wrong color and what came in base models. I have a heater that bolts on top of propane to keep warm in my building. Yes Scott I am right at 85% wheelchair bound and I am trying to lose weight to help with my back and hip, which is a good thing or I can ignore it all and end up 100% in my power chair.

Buying parts always makes me feel good, its something to look forward to when the come in the mail

I buy very few parts and only ones I need. There is a lot to buy out there,but my wallet says no. I do like to recycle good parts for my car.

Set your goals of loseing weight Cliff,it will help with your mobility.Sorry to hear of your condition,but you can beat it.Just keep your mind positive with your goals and you will accomplish them.:D

Set your goals of loseing weight Cliff,it will help with your mobility.Sorry to hear of your condition,but you can beat it.Just keep your mind positive with your goals and you will accomplish them.:D

I am trying and because of that and a few other things I have been in a major depression.

I just retired as of Dec. My Dart has been sitting in its dedicated "shed" for 5 years. I have collected parts till the actual garage is a nightmare. So far got the springs moved and rear installed. Other small jobs too.
To address your situation, first i would get a cork board and a box of push pins(like the detectives on tv do to piece together evidence and suspects). Use your library, notes, etc. to get an idea of where you are and where you want to end up. I had a white board but the cork board would be easier to revise and update. Got to get myself one. (trying to help you is giving me fresh ideas for my Dart) If I remember right you already have the engine out. Start by taking everything out to assess the rust issues. Put Craigslist/ebays part note on the board to look for repair parts/another body. Look around every few days online. Seeing "just ended" on an item that went for cheap always kicks my butt. Then, back away from the sheet metal. Then start with components starting at the rear. Clean, rebuild, replace and paint as needed. Keep moving forward. Sometime around engine build time go back to the body. By now the body issues should be chronicled, parts in hand and ready for completion.
Good luck on the Charger. As a group we can probably help locate parts and pieces as needed. I for one will try to keep in mind where I see potential donors.

I just retired as of Dec. My Dart has been sitting in its dedicated "shed" for 5 years. I have collected parts till the actual garage is a nightmare. So far got the springs moved and rear installed. Other small jobs too.
To address your situation, first i would get a cork board and a box of push pins(like the detectives on tv do to piece together evidence and suspects). Use your library, notes, etc. to get an idea of where you are and where you want to end up. I had a white board but the cork board would be easier to revise and update. Got to get myself one. (trying to help you is giving me fresh ideas for my Dart) If I remember right you already have the engine out. Start by taking everything out to assess the rust issues. Put Craigslist/ebays part note on the board to look for repair parts/another body. Look around every few days online. Seeing "just ended" on an item that went for cheap always kicks my butt. Then, back away from the sheet metal. Then start with components starting at the rear. Clean, rebuild, replace and paint as needed. Keep moving forward. Sometime around engine build time go back to the body. By now the body issues should be chronicled, parts in hand and ready for completion.
Good luck on the Charger. As a group we can probably help locate parts and pieces as needed. I for one will try to keep in mind where I see potential donors.

Great Idea on the Cork board. I have to sort through and write down what I have and it's enough to get a good start.

All the advise here is great and very helpful.

I always work on the suspension/brakes first. I was always told you can make a car go, but will it stop and steer and keep from wrecking? I do the suspension while the motor is at the machine shop, trans being built. I paint the engine compartment, interior floors, trunk and fix any rust while there are not any obstructions in the way.
I do the motor, trans, rear. wiring and get it running. I put the interior together and get it tagged. As I drive it, it does many things for me. enjoy my project, work out the bugs. As I drive it I work on the body, and upgrade the interior B/C usually I gather nicer and/or new pieces to make it nicer. I find by doing it this way, by the time it is nearly ready for paint all the changes are done and you won't be mad dinning the old paint while doing the mods needed to make it right.

I make a list of the things I can think that needs to be done, I use MS word to make a list.
After I make the list I categorical things, engine, trans, brakes, body etc.. what needs done. then you can further categorize buy big job, small job, money or time.
Many things just take time if your reconditioning parts, some of which you can do in the house. needing a steering wheel shouldn't hold up a column the wheel can be added anytime.

go get some boxes, I use totes, but oil boxes work good also they are generally all the same size and strong - and label them - engine assys pulleys covers etc. door, handle door parts. Interior etc. organised your garage on your in between time. It makes everything a lot easier to find when you approach that part of the project. find old butter tubs or sealable jars for the small stuff nuts, bolts and screws, put them in the boxes with the other parts.

For me getting it mobile is always my first priority, when I can, so I can move it around I tend to keep more interest in the project if I do that.

I always work on the suspension/brakes first. I was always told you can make a car go, but will it stop and steer and keep from wrecking? I do the suspension while the motor is at the machine shop, trans being built. I paint the engine compartment, interior floors, trunk and fix any rust while there are not any obstructions in the way.
I do the motor, trans, rear. wiring and get it running. I put the interior together and get it tagged. As I drive it, it does many things for me. enjoy my project, work out the bugs. As I drive it I work on the body, and upgrade the interior B/C usually I gather nicer and/or new pieces to make it nicer. I find by doing it this way, by the time it is nearly ready for paint all the changes are done and you won't be mad dinning the old paint while doing the mods needed to make it right.

My car has too many issues to try to get it drivable.

I make a list of the things I can think that needs to be done, I use MS word to make a list.
After I make the list I categorical things, engine, trans, brakes, body etc.. what needs done. then you can further categorize buy big job, small job, money or time.
Many things just take time if your reconditioning parts, some of which you can do in the house. needing a steering wheel shouldn't hold up a column the wheel can be added anytime.

go get some boxes, I use totes, but oil boxes work good also they are generally all the same size and strong - and label them - engine assys pulleys covers etc. door, handle door parts. Interior etc. organised your garage on your in between time. It makes everything a lot easier to find when you approach that part of the project. find old butter tubs or sealable jars for the small stuff nuts, bolts and screws, put them in the boxes with the other parts.

For me getting it mobile is always my first priority, when I can, so I can move it around I tend to keep more interest in the project if I do that.

I could try and paint my steering wheel, but I never get the paint to stay on.Also There is no way to get it drivable too many rust issues

Cliff, much good advice on here. I found the best way when I did my Valiant just trying to stay organized, even when I was in my regular job that was the best thing bagging and tagging things, taking pictures. Their are a few pertinent steps when it comes to assembly. You will start feeling burned out. just take a step back and take a breather. If you start slowing down call a friend or your son over for a day or two. Thats what seemed to pick me back up. I also read an article some years back where a guy restored a Challenger and he did the whole thing from a wheel chair. I was so inspired. I've talked to you alot your determined, so I know you can do it! Plus you have alot of social support on here. Let me know if you need anything.

Cliff, much good advice on here. I found the best way when I did my Valiant just trying to stay organized, even when I was in my regular job that was the best thing bagging and tagging things, taking pictures. Their are a few pertinent steps when it comes to assembly. You will start feeling burned out. just take a step back and take a breather. If you start slowing down call a friend or your son over for a day or two. Thats what seemed to pick me back up. I also read an article some years back where a guy restored a Challenger and he did the whole thing from a wheel chair. I was so inspired. I've talked to you alot your determined, so I know you can do it! Plus you have alot of social support on here. Let me know if you need anything.

Thanks,I guess what is making me so anxious is having a welder and having to wait to wire up my building and getting a bottle of gas. Tomorrow my wife and I are going into my building and sorting everything and writing it all down. I think that would be a good start.

-
Back