How to prime oil pump

-

jim ayers

fastback fish guy
Reaction score
I am on my very first LA engine rebuild. What is the best way to prime the oil pump and get the engine primed? Can you install the cam without the oil pump gear drive so that you can prime the engine fully assembled (minus distributor and intake), or does the oil pump gear drive have to be installed before, or as the cam is inserted?

thank you

:banghead:

x2. while you are running the drill to prime the engine, have someone turn the engine over with a ratchet so oil can be reached up to the rocker shafts. its a good idea to pull the valve covers to verify that you have oil coming up to them....:)

I used a long piece of hex (of course with the oil pump drive shaft removed) inserted into my drill and just turn it clockwise. I also turn the engine over in 1/4 turn increments and do it again each time. This may be overkill, but what the hell. I want to get oil down to every port and galley in the crank etc. I also wrap the long piece of hex with electrical tape (in the right spot) as to protect that bronze inserted bushing for the oil pump drive shaft from getting a little chewed up by the edges of the spinning hex shaft. Sorry, a little long-winded.

I used a long piece of hex ................... I also wrap the long piece of hex with electrical tape (in the right spot) as to protect that ....bushing .....

I simply don't agree that this is a good idea. WAY too easy to FU the bushing.

To the OP, you can drop the dist. gear in "last" after the manifold, etc is on. If you get it in wrong, you can "walk" it back up and out with a screwdriver, just turn it and the helix of the gears will force it back up and out.

In fact, if for some reason you cannot get it in correctly (a little new tightness, etc) you can just move the plug wires on hole if needed and time it

I simply don't agree that this is a good idea. WAY too easy to FU the bushing.

Fair enough, but actually the long piece of hex material usually doesn't even touch the bushing. I put the tape on it just in case it does.

You can also rig up a tank with oil, pressurize it, and connect the hose to where the oil sender is....

I took an old ( but still in good shape) intermediate shaft and ground the teeth off the gear, dropped it in the bushing then knocked the handle off a cheap Flat head screwdriver put it in a drill and spun away. no damage to the bushing and exactly the correct size. if anyone needs it I will take a pic of one when i get home and post it. David

I usually pack the oil pump with vaseline-brings the oil pressure up very quick.

-
Back