How to remove hood springs?

-

Competition

Reaction score
Hi all! I have a 1969 Barracuda with a stock type steel hood on it. I just received my Glasstek fiberglass super stock hood, and bolted it on to see how it looked. I can't even budge it with the stock springs, without feeling like I'm going to bust the glass hood in half. I wanted to know if I have to change the hinges entirely or can I just remove the springs and use a prop rod to open the hood? If so, how do I go about removing the springs, as it appears they are hidden and the front end might have to come off to access them? I don't know why these hinges can't be simple like GM and Ford with a spring right out in the open for easy access and changing! :violent1:

who needs chevy and ford simple!!??? there would be NO car challenge!!???? the AAR and TA of course had the spring type deal, but had a much smaller spring than the steel hood cars. i just had to installed the tension on my 65 cuda hood springs, i had to use a come a long to pull them back ( o k so i'm old and slightly wore out!!???)
maybe someone will have other idea. but i think no way to use the stock spring deal. 4 pin lift off type deal like the 69 1/2 b body m code cars????

Pretty sure you will need to remove the fenders to get to them. You can use just one spring, I know because one of my springs popped off and I have been to lazy to put it back on.

PS I think it looks cleaner having the springs not showing.

Rod

You can access the hood springs from the wheel well side if you remove the inner fenders.....

-
Back