How to remove the Intermediate Shaft Bushing

-
Friend of mine has a large thread tap he screws down into the bushing then drives both out. I want to say 1 inch NPT pipe tap but my memory sux.
It aint a special tool but it works.

Friend of mine has a large thread tap he screws down into the bushing then drives both out. I want to say 1 inch NPT pipe tap but my memory sux.
It aint a special tool but it works.

That´s how I replaced the bushing in my 383, was using a lot of grease and only did one revolution at time, then carefully cleaned the thread tap.
Then I fabbed a tool to remove the bushing, nothing fancy but it worked.
Will get you a pic tomorow if you´d like.

If the ID of the bushing is 3/4 , Troys tool would be a 3/4 NPT. One thing to remember is dont use a steel drift on the tap. Use brass , aluminum, wood, whatever, just dont break Troys tap. LOL

Thanks to all answers! any pic will be great! I saw somes tools but are to expensive only to replace one bushing. More ideas are welcome.

I made a tool. Took a 1/2" x 15" carriage bolt and a large flat washer from the hardware store, ground the threads off the last 1 1/2", ground a notch in it about 1/4" deep and as tall as the new bushing. I slide it thru my slide hammer handle (any heavy slide will do here...) and go down into the bushing until I can feel the notch pass the lower edge of the bushing. Put a little side pressure on it so it stays on the bushing, and pop it out. I think it cost me about $3 and 20 minutes.

-
Back