how to remove the steering wheel?

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys, i am struggling with removing the steering wheel from my 68 Valiant. I put in a new steering box and now the wheel is not straight, want to correct this at the wheel. Don´t want to damage sth. because the interior is pretty nice.....if anybody can give me some tips for removal that would be great! Thanks in advance!

Michael

20240909_194506.jpg

I would take the box back off and turn the shaft and reconnect in your case.

You'll need a steering wheel puller if you intend to take it off the column and reclock it.

Tom

Last edited:
If the wheel was straight before the gearbox replacement, removing and reinstalling the wheel is not the correct way.

You cannot re-clock the steering wheel at the top, it will only go on one way as it has a master spline. Check your connection at the box/coupler, at the box/pitman arm, and your alignment.

Both the box and the wheel have a master spline. Only goes on one way. Could it be someone forced it on at the wrong position. Front end alignment should be the only way the wheel should be straightened using tie rod sleeves. There is a tight spot in the sector shaft when the wheel properly installed and is straight. This stops the car from wondering when centered.

ok, got it. thanks for the replies. Since it went together smoothly i think all is assembled correctly, will correct the alignment via the tie rod sleeves this winter.

Michael

How far off is it? If 180, you probably put the coupler together wrong.

The gearboxes have four keyways in the output shaft, so the pittman are can be clocked wrong.

The gearboxes have four keyways in the output shaft, so the pittman are can be clocked wrong.
Is that even possible? I've tried to do it intentionally, and found you couldn't bolt things up if it was 90 degrees off. Maybe I didn't try hard enough! :lol:

Is that even possible? I've tried to do it intentionally, and found you couldn't bolt things up if it was 90 degrees off. Maybe I didn't try hard enough! :lol:
Well it's certainly possible to bolt the arm on wrong. Now whether it's possible to install the box with the arm on wrong or not, I don't know. I don't think I would underestimate anyone there, though, with some of the things I have seen.

Hi Guys, the position of the pitman arm was done the same way the old one was. That´s not the problem. Possibly because of an aftermarkete steering coupler and no play in the new box....as said before i´ll check alignment this off-season (going racing 3rd of october, no time before that). Thanks at all!

Michael

Well it's certainly possible to bolt the arm on wrong. Now whether it's possible to install the box with the arm on wrong or not, I don't know. I don't think I would underestimate anyone there, though, with some of the things I have seen.

If you need something installed backwards, upside down or fully completed while forgetting to do the first step....I'm your man.

-
Back