How to remove trunk floor at the Junkyard?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
Ok so on my 66 dart, the trunk floor is pretty badly rusted out, several areas you see straight to the road. Also the spare area bad. So I think the entire trunk floor needs to be replaced. I found a dart at the junkyard that has a good clean trunk. Now how in the heck do you remove it with manual tools at the junkyard? I have some battery tools, like sawzall, but no way in hell is battery going to get me through that trunk.
I have a good 4in angle grinder, but again, it is plug in. There is no place to plug in tools at junkyard.
What do you guys do? And how do I remove the trunk floor?
Do Pick A Parts junkyards let you bring in generators? (which I dont have but could rent?)

I have an 18 volt dewalt sawsall that with 2 fully charged batteries, I'm sure I could cut out a trunk floor with a brand new sheet metal blade

Buy some extra batteries. I have a bunch of 20v dewalt cordless tools, and I could remove a trunk floor with a spot weld cutter and a well charged battery. I'd bring a couple extra because I have them but it would probably only take one if it was fully charged to start. It would probably take 2 or 3 spot weld cutters and one battery. Not sure a sawzall would be any better for a trunk pan. Might be a little faster but it would probably chew up a couple blades and the same battery with an extra or two in reserve. I'm amazed how long the charge on those 20v tools goes, battery tech has come a long way even in just the last couple years.

What they said but your going to have to go under the car and remove unneeded parts,spring mounts,e brake stuff and anything that will keep it from coming loose when you free it up. I have used a sharp wide spade chisle and a sledge hammer to cut through sheetmetal but it is tiring and have smacked my hand with the hammer plenty and have since found one with a hand guard. A sawzall would be a hell of a lot quicker. I would remove the trunk lid,bumper and cut through the pillar,frames and rear wheel wells so you have plenty of extra and those are the least obstructed areas on the backside to cut through.

Last edited:
Cut it 3 inches big all around...did this with a complete floor pan for '65 Valiant...trim when I got it home, and went into the car perfectly at the spot-welds.

Any of your friends have a battery powered 4" angle grinder with cut off wheel you can borrow.
Yote

-
Back