How to remove Vinyl Top glue?

-

Casey Davis

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I just removed the factory vinyl top from my Dart.
I was wondering what is the best way to remove all of the glue
that was used in the installation process.
The glue is very thick and I need some help on what I can use to
bust it off.
I will not be putting a vinyl top back on the car.
Any help would be great.

I used Perp-Solv and a razor blade. Spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes then start scraping. Of coarse my car is a bare shell so I dont need to worry about getting glue and solvent on anything.

I used whatever I had laying around, I think a couple of cans of brake cleaner and some carb cleaner. :lol: I was bored and didn't want to make yet another trip to the parts place.

The auto paint stores have a adhesive remover is a spray can. Works great.
I used it to remove the glue from console top where woodgrain laminate was.

wire brush on an angle grinder...
C

If you have any sign shops in your area, they have a product called Rapid Remover, spray it on the glue will soften, then use a body filler squeegee or plastic razor blades and roll it off, and repeat till mostly gone then use a rag with the remover on it for the final cleanup. Rinse with soap and water. We use it all the time to remove graphics and have never had a problem with paint reactions. Costs about $ 30. a gal but works very well.

If you use the prep sol and razor blade,curl the razor blade by holding it in an angle and moving it back and forth on a piece of glass, this will curl the sharp edge on the razor blade preventing it from gouging into the paint and primer saving you a lot of sanding.this techniqe works well for removing stickers and pinstripes as well.it takes practice but you will be amazed with the results.when removing pinstripes and stickers a spray or two of windex will keep the blade from scratching the painted surface.put a majik marker stripe on the razor blade so you know wich side is up!

I used paint stripper... it was nasty stuff but it got the old residue off quickly. I thought about sanding it but the 20 minutes of using paint stripper seemed better then 60+ minutes sanding. I would make the same choice again and make sure you've got some fresh air!

I used paint stripper... it was nasty stuff but it got the old residue off quickly. I thought about sanding it but the 20 minutes of using paint stripper seemed better then 60+ minutes sanding. I would make the same choice again and make sure you've got some fresh air!

what was the name of the paint stripper

-
Back