How to remove window cranks/door handles '60 Valiant?

-

pinkiedog64

Reaction score
I need to get to the innards of the doors on my '60 Valiant but am not sure how to remove (without breaking) the window cranks and door handles. I saw no set screws like on other handles I have seen. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Stephan

hold your tongue just right, stand on 1 foot & hop----
I've never had much luck with those-- they are a square peg with a clip, I had my best luck with 2 screwdrivers-- 1 to push the door panel area in -- the other to pry the clip up--- very tough-- but once you get the clip just right the handle slides right off.

also the square stem has a groove to assist in holding the handle in place.
they come off-- just takes some work ,Lawrence

YES,that is the idea-- that style of window crank removes very ez-- the 60-62v square peg style does not come off that quickly-- at least the cars I messed with-- were much more difficult.Lawrence

I need to get to the innards of the doors on my '60 Valiant but am not sure how to remove (without breaking) the window cranks and door handles. I saw no set screws like on other handles I have seen. Can someone point me in the right direction?

You can get a tool from a good auto parts store. Flat steel with a cut out for the clip on the back of the handle. They are very difficult to get off even with the tool. You need to push the door panel back as far as possible. They get stuck on the square shaft and even when you have the clip back, it is still hard to come off. There is only one way to push the clip back, you have to feel it with the tool, I don't remember which way right now. I keep an extra handle around off the car to look at it every time I need to take a door panel off. Be real careful with your door panel also, as the panel is most likely real fragile. Patience, patience, patience.

-
Back