How to Roof Swap

-

72Dart360

Reaction score
The following pics are of a 71 I found. The only major problem is the roof and a passenger floor pan. I also found a 72 with a decent roof. Where should I make the cuts? Or should I take both cars to a PRO and let them do it?

DSC02238.jpg

DSC02276.jpg

DSC02239.jpg

DSC02275.jpg

DSC02287.jpg

DSC02237.jpg

Don't cut the whole roof off, just replace the skin. The roof on that 72 doesn't look all that good, it's full of dents and waves and that is hard to straiten out. Any 2dr hardtop roof skin will work from 67-76 so you might as well find a good one if you are going to do the work.

the roof you found is buckled and dented pretty bad you will want to cut the factory spot welds put and re weld on a new one

I am no pro and I did it.... Get the best roof you can find and just do the skin..... Drill out all the spot welds and the whole skin will come right off....Check under my restoration thread and I think I have some pics of when I did mine...... YOU CAN DO IT !!!! :cheers:

I'd pass on both.....unless they are for parts. But then again I'm on the West coast and cars are in better shape usually than those.

The inner structure of the rood prob has rust issues along with the top.

I'd pass on both.....unless they are for parts. But then again I'm on the West coast and cars are in better shape usually than those.

The inner structure of the rood prob has rust issues along with the top.

You west coasters are so spoiled. 8) Yes, I'm a little jealous.

My uncle lived in Tucson for over 30 years and junked some of the cleanest cars around. He comes up here and can't believe what people are fixing up.

You west coasters are so spoiled. 8) Yes, I'm a little jealous.

My uncle lived in Tucson for over 30 years and junked some of the cleanest cars around. He comes up here and can't believe what people are fixing up.

:toothy10::toothy10:

I'm a body man and i'll just tell ya now even if you do skin both roofs you will never make that dented one flat enough to be happy with. That a very large concave-flat surface and hard to hide body work, will likely need a vinal to be used... just my opinion.. you'll be flat file'en and spredding bondo till the cows come home. Find a flat one to start with and be very careful when you weld not to over heat and warp it. Job is doable but tricky!!!!
icon7.gif

My first roof skin was on my 70 Dart, which by the way was a native Orange County Ca car! It is pretty simple to do a roof skin. All you need is a good spot weld cutter. I use the Eastwoods one, regardless you will want one with drill as the centering pin. Take your time and strip the roof to expose all the spot welds. The roof you want to replace will need the tops of the quarters as well so I would cut it down onto the side of the quarter. The replacement roof is wavy and could pose some problems getting it to fit. If the price is right I would attempt it. Good luck!

Thanks for all the info. I'll have to get a spot weld cutter and get to work. The donor roof will have to do, not a lot of Darts laying around in MD anymore. A vinyl top will be going on to cover up the hard to fix areas.

-
Back