How to take out 73 dart radio bezel???

-

73SlantSwinger

Reaction score
Haven't dove into it yet but how do you take this piece out? does the glovebox and ashtray have to be out? how do the AM radio knobs come off? thanks for the info

how do the AM radio knobs come off? thanks for the info

The radio knobs just pull off.....You may have to wiggle them a little as you're pulling.

I'm not sure on 73 models, but there should be some speed nuts behind the bezel. Someone else will have more detailed instructions for 'ya......

The radio is really packed into these cars. If the car's got A/C, take off the lower vent panel...then pull the ashtray assembly. You really don't have to, but, I generally will drop the steering column from the bottom of the dash, and pull the two bolts that hold the dash frame to the side panels. This gives you plenty of wiggle room and insures you're not going to tear anything up when dropping the radio out the bottom. The radio itself is secured with the two 5/8 nuts behind the knobs and one 7/16 head nut that is around the back. Unplug the antennae wire, the power lead, and the speaker wires, and you're good to go.

You will also have to pull back the heater control assy (2 3/8 nuts). There are about 8 or so tiny nuts on the back of the bezel that are 1/2 if I remember right,they can be stubborn sometimes and you may have to pry the outside bezel with slight tension to get them to back off

it is a pita the others are correct,3/8 wrench for heater control, 1/2 inch wrench for the bezel itself.or socket...i take the glove box out to be able to reach in there easily.

-
Back