How to tell if there’s fluid in Torque Converter

-

Dartman_1

Dart Man
Reaction score
I am trying to avoid removing my A-904 transmission from my car if I don’t have to. My long time project has sat in the garage longer than it’s been on the road and I need help determining if I actually put fluid in the torque converter before I put it in the car years ago. Unfortunately I don’t recall and I’ve gained far more knowledge since, to know better.

Is there a way to tell if there’s fluid in the torque converter or make 100% certain it isn’t dry when I go to start the car? The torque converter is an aftermarket converter and it does not have a drain. Thanks in advance.

It will be full in less than five seconds when the engine fires. Worry about somethin else. lol

Converter bearings and friction surfaces are pre greased when assembled so a few seconds of running before the pump picks up fluid won't hurt it.
If it's been run before it has enough fluid hanging around to be fine.

Pull the dipstick to confirm you put fluid in the trans before starting...

............and start it in neutral, NOT park. This is even a problem with my Dakota after 2-3 days..........the converter drains back. Start in neutral, it is topped off in just a few seconds. The hydraulic circuits are different between P and N which is why all manuals tell you to check fluid in N

I leave my Dart in nuetral with the park brake set when it's going to be sitting for a few weeks. When it starts the pump starts filling the converter immediately.

By the way "I THINK" but not sure...........that this is related to the intermittent problem with the mini white whale. (Dakota) Sometimes you start it, it will launch in 2nd instead of first. Sometimes restarting will fix and sometimes not. Seems like if you start it in neutral instead of park it seems to build pressure (in the governor?) and does not exhibit the problem

Nope, don't start a dry converter. That's why they tell you to put fluid in it. It acts like a prime. Fill your trans with fluid until it comes out the vent. Let it set for a few days. Drain it down to 2 " above the full mark. Start it in neutral and fill to full immediately.

Most bizarre post I've ever seen, CudaFactHackJob! I read many comments never commenting but this one is way out there! Anyone who does what you suggest is in for a lot of work and fluid clean up. Not recommended IMO.

-
Back