How to torque the final bolt on the crank shaft

-

Trevor B

Reaction score
I'm hoping to have the 318 back together tomorrow.
My book instructed me to torque the dampener bolt on the crankshaft to 135 foot lbs (or was it 175 - will look it up again before attempting), blocking the crankshaft from moving with something firm, from within the engine. Problem is, the oil pan is on, engine is in the car. So no access there.

How can I keep the engine from rotating when I put the torque wrench on there?

Thanks!

Hit it with a 1/2 Air Hammer on 3/4 power and be done with it.

You can remove the inspection plate on transmission, and lock it down from there, vice grips on the ring gear, large screwdriver...

You can remove the inspection plate on transmission, and lock it down from there, vice grips on the ring gear, large screwdriver...
Roger that.... and you can find a few threads here about damper bolt threads getting messed up with impact wrenches. And I would be leery of what it might do to rod bearings. YMMV on that....

Certainly try to get close to that torque....that high torque is what tightly couples the damper to the crank so it can actually damp the crank vibrations properly.

If it's a stick set the parking brake or have someone hold the brake pedal down while in gear.

Thank you! It was super easy to jam a screwdriver through the inspection port on the transmission and torque the bolt. Didn't want to risk damage with my impact driver, which delivers like 700 foot/lbs and which I just got - haven't learned to feel it yet.

The real question is... what is going to happen when I try to start the engine today!

Thank you! It was super easy to jam a screwdriver through the inspection port on the transmission and torque the bolt. Didn't want to risk damage with my impact driver, which delivers like 700 foot/lbs and which I just got - haven't learned to feel it yet.

The real question is... what is going to happen when I try to start the engine today!

Take the screwdriver back out. :D

-
Back