How to use a Piston stop?

-

67cuda360

Reaction score
I'm about to use a piston stop to determine true TDC. I have built a piston stop from an old spark plug and I was just wondering if the engine can be safely rotated by hand with the piston stop in place without it interfering with the valves opening and closing.

Any ideas?

when i did mine i took the pushrods out on the # 1 cylinder. better safe then sorry. its also a good idea to pull all the spark plugs when you do this. it makes it easier to turn and you will feel a definate "stop" when you hit the piston stop. you dont want to be fighting against compression. i put a piece of masking tape on the balancer. rotate the engine by hand clockwise. when it stops make a mark. then rotate is counter clock wise. when it stops make a mark. the exact middle of those two marks is your TDC.

Thanks guys,
anyone know if it is absolutely necessary to remove the pushrod? I know it's saver but I'm just curious. The engine is a 360 with adjustable rockers and J heads.

I've never had any interference. The plugs point to the exhaust valve, and it would take a LOT of lift to hit a stop

Thanks guys, do I need to worry about damaging the piston? Even with all the spark plugs removed it sometimes feels like there is a little resistance when turning the engine by hand. Just want to make sure I won't damage anything :)

-
Back