How to

-

barracuda cuz

Reaction score
Hey anybody out there with some suggestions for numbers matching.

I have 65 barracuda that I am trying to match the numbers on the engine, transmission, and rearend.
How do I go about it?

You dont.

Pre 69 the only thing you can do is date match.

The engine and trans should have been built a week or so before the car.

The alternator would have been built up to a few months ahead.

To connect the car to the vin you need a build sheet. The fender tag will have an SO number, the body the same BUT...

The VIN is NOT the SO number.

Luckily you can request a free IBM card which will have the VIN and the SO number on it.

Chrysler Historical new contact info.

Good luck to you

Darn! Any idea on doing this for a Canadian built car? I'm trying to find out production numbers too.
Canadian cars are no different. No "Numbers matching" until 68. I haven't seen any Canadian only production numbers.

And even if it was a 68 or newer, the numbers on the engine and transmission either match or they don't. You can find and buy distributors, carbs, manifolds, etc. with the right part numbers and dates, but the numbers on the engine and transmission either match or they don't.

Reviving an old thread…
My -65 was shipped january 20th 1965. Casting date on my engine is 11 2 64, cast at 11 during the day shift. Due to the hollidays I guess this is as close as a «matching number» I can get.

However, with a new shifter console, new alternator and Edelbrock intake and carb, I guess he would never be considered as a collectors item for any other than me.

IMG_4651.jpeg

-
Back