How To??

-

Scamper

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have never rebuilt an engine myself, mostly I have done oil changes played with the carb etc. Do any of you know a good book that can teach me how to rebuild my 360 myself rather than pay someone else? I am determined to learn how to do it myself. Advice is welcomed and btw I am not young so bold typing and pics would be nice :toothy10:

Cheers
Scamper

carefull marking of parts and Careful dissassembly is a must. most important part in dissassembly is to NOT nick the crank, after you mark all of the rod cap's and main caps remove the rod cap's one at a time, Gently! after the rod cap is removed you can slide a piece of rubber hose onto each rod bolt to keep the rod bolt's from knicking the crank as you slide the piston rod assembly out of the block. After removing the assembly from the block put the rod cap back onto that rod so it doesn't get lost or moved to a diffrent rod.the rod caps go onto the rod a certain way in which the bearing tangs that keep the bearing from spinning meet up with each other. the rod goes into the engine a certain way also,take note of the side of the rod that faces the oil pan rail and when you get the second rod out from the engine that goes onto that rod journal take a look at the big end of the rod and you will notice that it is chamfered on each side of the rod,one side has a larger chamfer which faces to the crank and the other side has a lessor chamfer that faces the other rod,The larger chamfer is to allow clearance for the journal fillet. More members will chime in with advice and maybe links for good book's on the subject hopefully this will be helpful to you.
P.S. Kepp everything as clean as you can while working on the engine, dirt and grit is not good so keep your area clean and your hands clean as you go.

Thanks Waggin I appreciate your advice, I will print it out for reference.
I know there are books but which one's are good for noobs, I remember in high school we had good ones but that was 25 yrs ago and unfortunately there are no night shop classes available here. I need step by step type instructions.I know the risks but can't have fun if I don't try.

rebuilding my first engine at this time as well, 360 too.
I have the Factory service manual for 1973 Plymouths. Service manuals a MUST for rebuilding the engine, all torque specs and valuable info in that, and in my opinion should be bought first thing once you buy the car, no book more valuable.
Also have "How to Rebuild the Small-Block Mopar" from SA-Design
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1932494545/?tag=joeychgo-20

And Mopar Performance's "Small Block 'A' Engines" book is a great parts selection guide and performance help.

I read each of these cover to cover before buying parts while the engine was at the machine shop, and have them all open as I build the engine.

Best of luck on your build!

Thanks73 and btw how is your rebuild going and do you find the book very clear on what you are to do?

-
Back