how tough to put 318 in '64 Dart GT with Slant 6?

-

gorgerider

Reaction score
Currently has a tired slant 6 (original). I can get a 318 from a '77 D100, but I want to know if it'd be a nightmare to shoehorn it in. Either way I'm going to be rebuilding an engine. I don't know which trans it has in it, all I know is it's a slushbox. Any chance I can bolt up the 318 to the trans? What am I looking at regarding steering column, exhaust (headers or manifolds, etc. I don't think it has power steering. I'll know more when I pick it up.

Thanks.

You can get specific answers in various sections of this site, but it is an easy bolt in swap. Since 1964 was the first year for the V8, the engine bay is made for it. The hardest part is finding all the parts and that's not real tough. Just get your checkbook out.

Welcome aboard.

The 318 will fit the engine bay just fine; the K-frame is the same for 6- and 8-cylinder engines in the '64-'66 A-bodies; you just need the V8 engine mounts. You cannot bolt the V8 to a Slant-6 transmission; you'll need a V8 transmission. You'll also need beefier radiator, brakes, and suspension. No difference in steering column.

Needs the correct motor mounts.
Need the car oil pan and pick up tube
Need the v-8 center link
Need the correct exhaust manifolds (cheapest option in most cases)
Need a v-8 trans. That should have push button I believe. That trans is a littler harder to find but a non push button will work too you'll just need an aftermarket shifter.

I would recommend removing the slant 6 before trying to put the v-8 in there...

Welcome to FABO...

Needs the correct motor mounts.
Need the car oil pan and pick up tube
Need the v-8 center link
Need the correct exhaust manifolds (cheapest option in most cases)
Need a v-8 trans. That should have push button I believe. That trans is a littler harder to find but a non push button will work too you'll just need an aftermarket shifter.

All correct - I'll add:
V8 gas pedal would help too.
Early A V8 kickdown or aftermarket cable kickdown

Thanks for your responses, guys. I appreciate it.

Things are a changin'. The 318 from the pickup is out of the picture. He decided to keep it and drive it for a while before spending a bunch of money before he knows exactly what he has. That was actually my suggestion to him all along and I'm glad he made that choice.

The new development is another friend turned out to have a garage full of MOPAR parts, including a short block 273 from a '65 Dart! He'll also be able to supply a lot of the stuff that goes on it (brackets, pulleys, V-8 throttle cable, Edelbrock intake w/ Carter 4bbl). He'll be putting together a list of the stuff he thinks I'll need and will not take too much money for it. I scored.

Things I know I'll need: Heads, headers or manifolds, 3-speed trans, steering center link, pedal assembly, bigger rear end (?), disc brake conversion, and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff. The plans are for a resto-rod, not some wild, noisy beast that invokes comments like, "Nice car! Sorry about the *****". Comfort will wait until the stuff "below the water line" is proper.

I'll let you know what comes out of Stuart's garage. In the mean time I'll be searching for those items listed above. I just hope they're not made out of unobtanium.

And krazykuda, your thought led me to a weird moment of thinking about some kind of 14 cylinder mutant. Thanks for the entertainment.

If "I" was doing it, I would not go 273.

Not knocking them. They are great little engines. Key word. Little. I would find a late model 5.2 magnum. Much more potential.

Not knocking them. They are great little engines. Key word. Little. I would find a late model 5.2 magnum. Much more potential.
X2 Or a LA 318. :burnout:MT

Late Model Magnum engine all the way. You can end up with a Fuel Injected Magnum in your ride for just a little more than an LA with a decent carb.

If you wanted to go all the way and throw in the late model trans with the magnum, you will have an awesome DD w/ overdrive.

Thanks for all your input, guys. I went "shopping" yesterday by following a couple of Craig's List ads. I ended up bringing home the following:

Hurst 4-speed shifter w/ knob
Connecting rods to transmission
Lever plate (bolts onto trans)
3-speed OD trans (short tail, iron case, from a car)
Pedal assembly w/ "down rod"
Bell housing for trans to 273 (from a car)
Complete 273 w/ oil pan, heads, harmonic dampener, motor mounts, and valve covers

I coughed up a kilo-dollar for all of it. It may be too much money, but it reduces the number of specialty items I'll need for the conversion. I'm going to abandon thoughts of hotrodding the /6 simply because converting it to a 4-speed car would be frought with a whole lot of PITA hurdles. I'm going with the 273 w/ manual trans.

I'm going for the small motor for two reasons: 1). I've never been a total car speed freak, since high school. My first car was a (is a) '57 MGA with a 1500. Not a real head snapper, but that's where my head has been for all these years. Stylin' and profilin' with my elbow hanging out the window just doesn't flip my trigger 2). I get all an acceleration junkie can ask for with my '08 Triumph Rocket III Touring. I've got this 850# bike up to 140 RWHP and 153 ft.lbs. If I don't concentrate on hanging on when I hit it, it'll leave my *** a crumpled heap on the concrete. That's enough for me.

I've also never been one to believe in creating a trailer queen. I don't care if the overspray on the underside of the car is "correct". I adhere to the idea these cars were designed and built to be driven, and that's exactly what I'll be doing with this one. Rock chips happen. I'll concentrate on stuff below the water line and make it right with upgrades to safety, handling, and drivability. A 273 w/ 4-speed, high-comp pistons, 4bbl, RV cam will be enough for me.

One of the things I looked at yesterday was a complete power steering setup from a '64 Valiant w/ a /6. Pump w/ pulley, gearbox, pitman arm, cross link, and column including wheel and turn signal. After some reading, I think I need a different cross link, but I'm not sure. There is also a question as to how the gearbox will mount to the frame. Got any suggestions? SHould I take a pass on this? He wants $200 for all of it. One friend says the gearbox core is $80 alone.

Thanks for your response.

-
Back