How was this done?

-

HotLines

Realist - Free Thinker
Reaction score
I always thought you couldn't weld Aluminum to Steel but after being under my car yesterday installing the exhaust I had done by a muff shop 12 years back I just realized that those tubes were aluminum and the header flange is steel and you can see the bead pretty well. I dunno
360025.jpg

aluminized steel? coated in aluminum.

once you break through the top coat of aluminum which prevents rust it makes contact with steel which it is capable of bonding with.

just a guess

aluminized steel? coated in aluminum.

once you break through the top coat of aluminum which prevents rust it makes contact with steel which it is capable of bonding with.

just a guess
Yup, I think if you put a magnet to those pipes, you'll find they are not aluminum.....just coated.

well thank you, I admit that I can be an asshole at times and as I worked under the signet and viewed how clean the exhaust pipes were even after all these years I guess I just wandered off the beaten path and needed directions from you guys, Thanks

Asshole? You? Say it ain't so. lol

Its all in the herb StrokerScamp, I eat, love and live for herb but put me under a car with tools during the evening and who knows what I'll see. Here's a photo of the youngster you're talking to.
dec09014.jpg

thats exactly what we in the exhaust business use :D aluminized steel tubing, lasts longer than the normal run of the mill steel, usually starts to rust along the outside of the weld tho.

I've had people watch me weld flanges on that stuff in amazement before... almost everyone thinks it's aluminum. had someone come up and touch a magnet to it too, after I was done welding of course

Its all in the herb StrokerScamp, I eat, love and live for herb but put me under a car with tools during the evening and who knows what I'll see. Here's a photo of the youngster you're talking to.
dec09014.jpg

Naw, you ain't got no experience. LOL You're alright by me.

-
Back