How would i make this work for me? 83/4

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/2301970644.html

the above link is for an 8 3/4 out of a 72 charger (allegidly). i figure for $50 thats not bad, sice id have a housing for an 83/4 an most of the job is done. however, judging from the pic, it has absolutly NO brake hardware at all. is there somewhere (beisdes a junkyard) i could go an purchase a drum brake kit with E brake? i dont really want to go to discs in the rear when drums i would assume would be cheaper and simpler, correct me if im wrong. if i need to go to discs, is there a kit that includes everything i need that this doesnt come with?

thanks

You'd have to get this rear shortened down a lot to work with an abody (the b body rear you want is 70 and older for the best fit and only have to move the spring perches over 1 inch).
As far as brakes go you can get drum a setup if you want however if your going to be working with a lot of HP I'd bite that bullet and get a rear disc setup (pretty sure I was reading here a day or two ago about how someone did a rear disc setup for ~300). As far as changing pads/shoes, I find it a lot easier and faster to change pads vs shoes.
Hope this info helps, also here is a site that lists the different 8 3/4 rear end lengths.
http://members.tripod.com/mojo_page/chry875.htm

i dont plan on pushin over 300hp but if i could get a complete disc setup cheaper than drum, im all for it...its really all about cost

i know id have to shorten, but its an 8 3/4 for $50 so i wouldnt mind too much. deals like that are few an far between round here

That Dana looks like it came out of a truck. You'd probably have to have 6 or 8 bolt wheels to use with the brakes that are on it. You can probably find a set of 10" or 11" brakes to fit an 8 3/4" rear either here on FABO or in a salvage yard somewhere. I think you can use brakes off of a C body too. If you were closer I've got a set of 11" brakes you could have cheap but the shipping would be a killer. Just be sure you get everything from the backing plates on out, including the E-brake cables, just in case you need them. If you can find a complete B body rear with axles you might be better off because you may be able to have the axles shortened to work with the rear if you need to have the rear narrowed, plus you'd have the brakes already there.

That reference is crap for rear end lengths and is loaded with bullshit info. If you EVER see a chart or reference that says 62-70 B rears are the same length or track... IT'S WRONG!!!

Just a sampling of the BS in that reference from above...

Where To Find One

The first thing one needs to know in order to find the right axle for the job is the Chrysler platform code system. With an understanding of the different vehicles involved, you can then determine which one will best suit your application.

A-body models include:
1964-76 Plymouth Valiant,... , 1970-76 Plymouth Duster, 1972-76 Plymouth Scamp, 1964-76 Dodge Dart, ... 1973-76 Dodge Dart Sport, 1969-76 Dodge Dart Swinger

Really all those models had 8.75's LMAO.

Here's a reference with good valid info regarding 8.75 housing, overall and axle lengths.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html

I have 11" backing plates, 1 brake drum, and a pair of aftermarket shortened axles.
PM sent.

That reference is crap for rear end lengths and is loaded with bullshit info. If you EVER see a chart or reference that says 62-70 B rears are the same length or track... IT'S WRONG!!!

Just a sampling of the BS in that reference from above...

Really all those models had 8.75's LMAO.

Here's a reference with good valid info regarding 8.75 housing, overall and axle lengths.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html

I'm not saying everything they said was right. I didn't even read the whole thing. But the part you referenced was an explanation of the Chrysler platform system. It only said that the models mentioned were A bodies, which they are. It then went on to explain what was a B body, a C body, and an E body. It never said that every one of these cars would have an 8.75" rear axle. I think you just inferred that as you read it.

I'm not saying everything they said was right. I didn't even read the whole thing. But the part you referenced was an explanation of the Chrysler platform system. It only said that the models mentioned were A bodies, which they are. It then went on to explain what was a B body, a C body, and an E body. It never said that every one of these cars would have an 8.75" rear axle. I think you just inferred that as you read it.

In a heading in that link called "where to find one".

That link is LOADED with horrible information.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/2311111451.html

a dana would b a bit over the top for my build but would it work? im sure it would need shortening as well but this is complete drum to drum id just change the gears since i need 3.23's or 3.55's max...not 4.10s

FYI if you want a gear ratio other than 3.54 and 4.10 in a Dana 60 you will need a new carrier for each other ratio.

In la habra there is a axle shop that quoted me 300 to shorten the housing and axles. I baught a b body rear instead thanks to crackedback.. if Ur original rear end is bbp u can use all of the braking hardware and put it on the 8 3/4 if that is bbp as well

-
Back