How would you do it?

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My Duster was a rusted roller when I got 3 years ago and when I stripped it down, I removed all off the brake lines.

I have the body finished and painted now and I am about ready to install my motor and trans.

I want a stock look for the most part, and I'm wondering what others would do to replace the brake lines if they were on a low-low budget.

I mostly care about getting the brake line that goes across the fire wall for now.

Should I buy the pre-bent kit, or just make my own?

I always price stuff by how many times I could screw it up before buying the easy part is cheaper.

In your case there isn't that much savings. If you screw it up your going to be buying pre bent anyway.

Brake lines are one area I would not go cheap on. For safety and ease I would buy pre-bent. Something else to consider is how much your time is worth to bend and fit new lines as apposed to the cost of pre-bent?

I always price stuff by how many times I could screw it up before buying the easy part is cheaper.

In your case there isn't that much savings. If you screw it up your going to be buying pre bent anyway.

Whats a good source for pre-bent lines.

If you just want to replace the piece across the firewall that feeds the passenger front then you could measure how far, buy a straight piece correct length/diameter/fitting and bend it yourself. I use a 3/4 or larger socket to bend the line where needed. You should be able to re-use the old clips to attach to firewall. I cleaned out Advanced Auto's inventory when they changed the brand of brake line they carry. I got each piece for $1, some were 5' down to 12" and various diameters and fitting type.

I like Finelines better than inline and I would replace them before putting the engine in especially the 1 along the firewall. The rest can be done after the install. I went with the stainless so I won't have rust issues.

I used Inline for my brakes and Finelines for fuel. Both were very good, accurate bends etc.

i replaced that line on my valiant and it was pretty easy. get a length of bailing wire to mock up the tube. get it in, bend it to shape and cut it to length while in place, then pull it out and you have a template to bend your new brake line with no worries of coming up short. you can do most of the bends by hand if you take your time. ofcourse you'll need a little tube cutter and a flaring tool with the correct fittings. and a bending plier if you're worried about kinks. good luck.

-
Back