Hows everybody doing?

-

Vic Storm

Reaction score
We in the building trades here in the Ozarks have been feeling the brunt of the resession with 20 hr weeks and weeks off here and there. But of course with the unusually wet spring hasn't helped either but I think that people are starting to think about building again, bids are slowly starting to go out again. I am begininng to think this thing is starting to bottom out and maybe we're going to be alright. I can't say why but I just feel that the darkness is lifting off of us, what do you all think? I am curious how it is in your necks of the woods? Any other construction people out there? I am not wanting to open any political cans here, just want to see how everybody is fairing so far this year.

I don't want to jinx anything but my 401k has bounced back up a little in the last month. We aren't out of the woods yet, but maybe I can see a little better times ahead.

I'm with you on working half days and such. It was OK at first, but now is the time when we need to be making our money!!

I work in the Auto construction LOL!(Ford)All layoffs over the spring and summer have been cancelled except 1 week end of June.Orders are up!I think by the fall,things should be picking up for everyone.I hope?,this has been a rough one for many!Hi Tony!How,s the 66 coming?

I wish I could be as optimistic as you guys but the potash mining industry still sucks. I have lost track of how many lay-off notices I have been issued this year,and there isn't any change in the near future. I know all they would have to do is lower the price per ton by a couple of hundred bucks and all would be good. Corporate greed is all it boils down to and the people that mine the stuff are the ones that suffer.:angry7:.....Sorry for the rant, I'll go take my meds......lol

Boy I hope things get better soon for everyone, My brother is going nut's.
He is in sales, Copy machines aren't selling ether.:angry7:
Hay Pettybludart!! I think Tony is going to spend some time on his barracuda this week :cheers:

The work I do is CAT related.I am still working NO overtime.I have have 8 weeks in layoffs between now and Oct.
Jim

I'm a teacher and we were told to expect a 7 million cut. And the budget came out.......and we have a 7 million cut. We have already cut 6 days without pay. I believe the total operating budget is in the low 40's so a 7 million is a big cut out of that.

So things will be interesting for the next 2-3 weeks. They had six budget scenario's and the likely one calls for a pay rollback and a bunch of other issues.

Not whining, and things will continue on. My district has always taken care of things by attrition. So we have had no staffing cuts because of how things happen. But 7 million at once is not going to be fun.

I know that many internet boards take a borderline antagonistic view towards schools and teachers. Hopefully not here.

I try and not mention the teaching thing, but I feel fairly safe on this board.

ROB

Boy I hope things get better soon for everyone, My brother is going nut's.
He is in sales, Copy machines aren't selling ether.:angry7:
Hay Pettybludart!! I think Tony is going to spend some time on his barracuda this week :cheers:
Me likey Tony,s pics!I hope he,s feeling better and can go to town on it for a few days?Well Tony?How you feeling Bud?How are you in general??Please do tell!

I feel real sorrow when I hear of our teachers and schools having to take cut backs and I hope the president helps us on that. I feel that our lacking in taking care of our schools will really hurt us in the future. Our teachers are our future and we need to help them, I hope that help comes to you and your district soon.

Feeling good petty and rarin' to get after it! I have been staying real close to home to try to save all we can, in these times ya know. But going back to work will get me out to were the cars areand that will get me in the shop so it's on!

I sell hay for a living. Things were very bad there for awile. The price of hay went way up and every one was getting rid of there horses. But the price of hay has gone way down nand now we are starting to pick up again.

I feel real sorrow when I hear of our teachers and schools having to take cut backs and I hope the president helps us on that. I feel that our lacking in taking care of our schools will really hurt us in the future. Our teachers are our future and we need to help them, I hope that help comes to you and your district soon.

Feeling good petty and rarin' to get after it! I have been staying real close to home to try to save all we can, in these times ya know. But going back to work will get me out to were the cars areand that will get me in the shop so it's on!
You gotta do what you have to!Glad to hear your up to par Tony:cheers:Hope ya ..get after er..with the 66.Looking forward to your progress!Mines got no 3rd gear this weekend,soon to be fixed.I need to get some smokin vids. up soon.Keep smiling boys!Grand Marnier on ice is kickin in!LOL!It was a gift!

I was a framing contactor for 14 years, got out of it 3+ years ago,the only way to compete was to use illegal mex's (was not about that) so closed up shop, now work for a Gov;t contractor , things could be better but doing better than most.
Having a .gov e-mail has its benefits.|
Away from home 2-3 months at a time,but still bringing it in.
It sucks being away from my shop!!!!!!!

Building sucks around here. I do wood floors and trim, cabinets and some custom furniture. Haven't had a paying job in a month or better. Three contractors who gave me 90% of my business over the past 4 years are out of business now. Talked to the local building inspector a few days ago. He told me that right now there are only 3 outstanding residential building permits IN THE WHOLE COUNTY. And 2 of those are for modulars. Two years ago, I had 3 full trim crews running 50 hr weeks. Now I've sold off the majority of my jobsite tools, and can't find enough work for just myself. Even tried to get a job as a night stocker at Walmart with no luck.

It is a fact that businesses are simply not spending; same with consumers. The reason? Look at what is coming down the pike: huge business tax increases, huge income tax increases, and huge energy tax increases, not to mention unheard-of federal and state spending levels. Federal government taking control of major banks and industries. It is there for all to see.

My states a bust. Fla. The wife and I were real estate appraisers till two years ago when the bottom fell out. Lived off our credit till that was gone. Losing home and having to sell off everythine else. The only way things are getting better for anybody is if you are at the bottom looking up. Were going to start over, but not in this state. I believe everything happen's for a reason.

P.S. I love the Obama haters who are blaming this on him. That's B.S. Its the dam republicans that created this mess over the last 8 years, and everybody wants to blame Obama becuase it's not fixed yet. Think back to when Clinton was in office, the economy was in alot better shape then now. The worst he did was commit adultry and lie about it, like every politicion does. Dubya was responsible for the death's of thousands of innoceint Americans and service men/woman, 9-11 and beyond....... Whew I feel better now :-D

P.S. I love the Obama haters who are blaming this on him. That's B.S. Its the dam republicans that created this mess over the last 8 years, and everybody wants to blame Obama becuase it's not fixed yet.
I can't help but laugh at those who blame the President for the mess, no matter which President they blame, be it Bush or Obama or Clinton. The fact is that the President has no REAL power to affect these things without Congress. Another FACT is that Bush's last four years, the DEMOCRATS had the majority in Congress. Now that we a Dem in the White House and Democrat-controlled Congress rubberstamping everything he asks for, hold on for the ride, b/c after the bailouts and gov't taking over banking, things are not likely to get much better in our lifetimes.

I can't help but laugh at those who blame the President for the mess, no matter which President they blame, be it Bush or Obama or Clinton. The fact is that the President has no REAL power to affect these things without Congress. Another FACT is that Bush's last four years, the DEMOCRATS had the majority in Congress. Now that we a Dem in the White House and Democrat-controlled Congress rubberstamping everything he asks for, hold on for the ride, b/c after the bailouts and gov't taking over banking, things are not likely to get much better in our lifetimes.

Agreed, Republicans or Democrats, almost always the same results. I liked Reagan, I am just not a fan of W.

Beneath the photo from the REAGAN DIARIES is an actual quote that Reagan wrote about George "W" in his diaries, recently edited by author Doug Brinkley and published by Harper Collins

"A moment I've been dreading. George brought his n'er-do-well son around this morning and asked me to find the kid a job. Not the political one who lives in Florida ; the one who hangs around here all the time looking shiftless. This so-called kid is already almost 40 and has never had a real job. Maybe I'll call Kinsley over at The New Republic and see if they'll hire him as a contributing editor or something. That looks like easy work."
From the REAGAN DIARIES------entry dated May 17, 1986.

...I am not wanting to open any political cans here, just want to see how everybody is fairing so far this year.
I'm still trying to decide whether I want to do similar stuff to my most recent job or go in some new direction. It may well come down to doing what I have to do even if I hate it. I still have a small cushion to remove some of the urgency.

The important stuff is intact. As cliché as it sounds; health is good, strength is up, I have food and a secure place to sleep. I've been through worse things and figure this one has something to teach me if I'm not so distracted as to miss it.

I wish I could be as optimistic as you guys but the potash mining industry still sucks. I have lost track of how many lay-off notices I have been issued this year,and there isn't any change in the near future. I know all they would have to do is lower the price per ton by a couple of hundred bucks and all would be good. Corporate greed is all it boils down to and the people that mine the stuff are the ones that suffer.:angry7:.....Sorry for the rant, I'll go take my meds......lol

What is Potash mining?

never mind, i saw the other post

sales up and down hard to put a finger on it but the jobless in this town is at 14%

construction has been slow for me. its about a 2 month wait for apprentices to go back to work if they are laid off. more like 6 months for journeyman electricians. i want to be positive that things are changing but i dont see it yet. and now they are telling us our pension lost 120 million dollars and is in the red, and that we are not going to get the raise that contractors agreed to.

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing::-({|=:prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::-k:-k:-k:-k:-k?:angry7::angry7::angry7::angry7::angry7::angry7::angry7::angry7::angry7::angry7::stop::stop: sole proprioter, commercial construction, mechanical pipe fitting/welding. Pretty much sums it up.:clock:

Business is sh*t, may have to go back to working a regular job (if there are any??), something I haven`t done for 15 years.

-
Back