Hows the Auto industry around you ?

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
Out here in Idaho.... it sux !!!!! I am definatley in the wrong profession right now. I work at a large Dodge dealer..for now.. anyways. I can tell you that none of the dealers - any car makes- are not doing well out here right now. There has been 4 major dealers close doors within a 30 mile radius. I consider myself lucky to be working today. Our car sales are all used cars... not much in the new line going out the door. The service shop (where I am ) has starving mechanics and empty bays. The dealership is advertising and doing all kinds of stuff to get customers to the door..... its not working. I have several buddies that worked in or owned independant car shops.... and are now out looking for work. The car market/industry is all but dead here. I know that this is usually a down month anyways with people trying figure taxes, fuel prices up, and Dodge trying to sell $45K half ton trucks... Is there hope or will I be standing in line before to long. I cant wait for warm weather and broken car A/C repairs to start rolling in... lots of people cant live without the precious A/C ... at least that would provide some biz. The construction marker is also in the pooper... big businesses closed down... which in turn takes biz away from us. (not to get political) but Obamas cash for clunkers program is now biting us all in the ***. Took away a load of biz from the independant shops, took biz away from the parts store -retail and wholesale. It sure helped people get into cars they cant afford and now are being repoed though. Sheesh.... dont mean to rant... just scared.
Whats it like around you ?? Any hope coming down the pipe ??

-RPM

It kinda sucks everywhere.

everyone is looking to save a buck and the independents are beating the pats off of the dealerships if their prices are competitive.

Alot of people are opting for jiffy lube type service over the dealer as well at their own risk of course.

Well ya... taking your car to jiffy lube or Wally World is assanine....but .. we have lowered our price to be competitive and still nothing happening. We are right across from a Wally World.... and their bizness has all but dropped off too.. not to mention the Sams Club right across the street folded up and left.

:thebirdm:ECONOMY:thebirdm:

My local Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer is not selling much of anything and the service department looks pretty dead as well (based on what I saw last time I had our Liberty's oil changed). Chevy and Ford dealers look to be in the same boat as well according to friends who work for them. Independent repair shops don't look all that busy either (cash for clunkers??). No one has any extra money to spend.

We have one big "super store" which seems to be doing well enough to try to add on another line. They just opened a new Nissan building to the plethora. But their service sucks. (A former buddy of mine works there now...yep, their service just went down a notch.) After buying most of the customers go to other dealerships. And those dealerships aren't doing a lot at the moment.

The place I worked at until April of last year has one of their technicians driving the warehouse truck making deliveries of OTR tires two days a week.

The box chains are empty. Of customer's cars. One of them has a trick of pulling in employees' cars to make them look busier than they are with the idea that if they look busy they'll get busy.

RPM,
The economy is in the shi--er, despite what the government is telling us the unemployment rate (present company included) is probably closer to 15% rather than the 9.7% they are stating. I don't want to turn this into a political thread. Bottom line is nobody is spending money except for the really rich and they ain't buying Dodge!
Since my unemployment, I have stretched $100 farther then Rosie O'Donnell's belly! I hesitate letting go of a buck except for food, bills and medicine.

its the same out here, but with alot more dealers went out. we just got jeep and lost chevy. now have jeep chrysler and dodge. Ive been living off of my 32 hour gaurentee for 2 months now as well as a week off with out pay, that we all had to take and then 1 person laid off. at the shop more hours then what I'm bringing home, *** backwards right now

-
Back