HP 273 Commando Valve Covers -- PSC vs. MOPAR ... Customers' Input & Photos Requested

-
Going to the Nats? If not I'll keep an eye out for you. PM me with your cell phone # and info. If I find a set I can send you a photo and pricing. What year? tmm

Aloha Here's a set that I installed on my 1966 barracuda 273...these have been in use for a few years now and show like new. This is a picture of the engine today...The engine was just rebuilt and first started up on saturday (7-28-2012). Only issue was the baffle was hitting the rocker shafts. But the POWDER-COATING is still brand new. They look great. Mahalo Leanna!

Attachments

• photo-5 2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 449
Looking for a set of these valve covers for my 273

Thanks for the bump! I can't make any promises yet, but I might be able to help you with that if ToolmanMike strikes out.

Aloha Here's a set that I installed on my 1966 barracuda 273...these have been in use for a few years now and show like new. This is a picture of the engine today...The engine was just rebuilt and first started up on saturday (7-28-2012). Only issue was the baffle was hitting the rocker shafts. But the POWDER-COATING is still brand new. They look great. Mahalo Leanna!

Yayyyyyy you got it going!!! Mahalo to you Mike! Thanks for your input on this thread. :-D

Your dad's MPs are supposed to arrive at your place today. Great timing!!!

wooo hoo leanna!!! I'm about to edit my start up video....lots of scrambling by me. Mahalo for the MP's...you should start a thread on them...just a few before/during/after shots...get the FABO blood pumpin!

Anyways....I'll post a few close ups later!

I'm reviving this old thread to ask a question. The wrinkle finish looks awesome and I'm definitely sold on that.

My question is about the fins. Were they painted from the factory or were they anodized or was it a combination? Mine appear to be anodized on the ridges and also on the top and bottom. But the areas between the fines are not shiny, maybe like argent paint.

Has anybody researched this?

Thank you! :-D

I'm the same vintage as Commandos are so I never saw them brand new but can tell you what I've seen of the ones that show up here.

It appears there were two styles. One was fully polished. The other more common style was the combination you speak of with polished fronts, backs, sides and fin tops with what looks like light argent paint in between the fins.

The fins on mine are (assumed to be) anodized, bright on the edges of the fins, and a matte finish in the lands between (no paint). If one were to attempt a refinish a very light glass beading followed by buffing would probably work.

The rest of my my covers look like crap and the fins need to be glued back on. I think I know who I'll send them to...

C130 Chief, I tried the usual method of removing anodizing on one of the first sets of fins that arrived in the 2-tone finish years ago, good ol' Heavy Duty Easy Off oven cleaner. :-D It didn't do a thing to the valleys between the fins; if they were anodized it would have brought up a brownish / grayish film when the anodizing lifted. A light blasting at 35-40 psi works great though.

C130 Chief, I tried the usual method of removing anodizing on one of the first sets of fins that arrived in the 2-tone finish years ago, good ol' Heavy Duty Easy Off oven cleaner. :-D It didn't do a thing to the valleys between the fins; if they were anodized it would have brought up a brownish / grayish film when the anodizing lifted. A light blasting at 35-40 psi works great though.

Wouldn't they anodize the entire part and then paint the valleys? Did the easy-off do anything to the edges?

The Easy Off didn't do anything to any of it. I can't speak to what the factory might have done with them back in the day. But I don't think they're anodized.

Leanna! Sorry I missed this thread for some time!!

As I was working on my engine I came to a point where I needed to do the valve covers. I was pretty sure how to do the work. Glass bead and a coat. Of good old VHT. Vut after trying out 4 times I gave up!

After talking with my friend Don, 65 dartman, I sent out my valve covers to him. I wanted to get the valve covers as close as possible as the factory did them. I talked wuth Din several rimes on how to paint them. Since he had great experience with Leannas work we came to th point that he was going to send the covers to Leanna and having her doing them. I must admit I admit that I had my dauts, but it was worth it!

When I got them back I was totally blown away? This was just how they looked when they came down the assembly line. Leannas result was stunning! For you who have seen them in my thread knows what I'm talking about. For you who hasn't, check them out!

I have sent out pictures showing the result to different restoration shops. Also a recommendation to ICCA reference restorers.
I can give her the best recommendations!

Ulf, thank you for the update! You know I had my own doubts whether I was even qualified to take part in this build -- that's why I started this thread. If you're happy with the work and it meets your expectations, then it's ALL GOOD. :-D I really appreciate your follow up and all your efforts to send more people my way. I enjoyed working with you and look forward to the next time.

Oh Ulf, I forgot to tell you something. I finally got some new postcards for the shop printed up this week (they accompany completed jobs and Gift Certificates I donate to car shows).

Your build is so amazing, the extremely kind feedback about your Commando valve covers was so terrific -- and your position with the ICCA so impressive --that I had to use some of it on them, as well as one of your photos.

Front (hope you can read it down there on the left) ...

View attachment New PSC Postcards April 2013 -- Front.jpg

and the back, with a few other FABO customers' comments ...

View attachment New PSC Postcards April 2013 -- Back.jpg

Thank you again for taking the time to share your opinion. It means the world to me!! :-D

I'm so glad I got convinced! Your work is a statement of art! Glad you could use my pictures.

:burnout:

Thanks Zeus!!! :-D You kind of dredged up an older thread but it's all good, and just a great excuse for me to welcome you to FABO!!! You just got your first Thanks. Though I may regret asking about a Big Banana lol, I'm dying to know what's up with your tag line.

Thanks Zeus!!! :-D You kind of dredged up an older thread but it's all good, and just a great excuse for me to welcome you to FABO!!! You just got your first Thanks. Though I may regret asking about a Big Banana lol, I'm dying to know what's up with your tag line.

Ha ha! Thank you for the thanks :D

The Big Banana is my 1972 Chrysler by Chrysler hardtop, Australian High option coupe (Our Imperial equivalent).

[ame="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/Zeus440/media/Banana_zpsde0774d9.png.html"]Banana_zpsde0774d9.png Photo by Zeus440 | Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/Zeus440/Banana_zpsde0774d9.p@@AMEPARAM@@588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/Zeus440/Banana_zpsde0774d9.p[/ame]

It has a certain road presence ;) the tag line may or may not refer to something else too lol....

Very cool!!! Beautiful ride you have there. I guess for my car's next picture I'll have to put a lime on the ground. :-D

Leanna,
I compared your work to that of some very good originals and the texture is dead on, the evenness of the finish is a perfect match,and the way you finished my two tone fins is visually convincing.

I may have a set to sell. So in anyone is looking,they can check with me.

bamacuda

David, thank you so much for your input!!! It's refreshing to know that my techniques seem to be in line with what the factory did back then. Every set is its own challenge for sure ... for as popular as these things are, it sure seems like people didn't take very good care of them over the years.

But if they had, I suppose I wouldn't have so many to restore. :-D

Marty, that's a very helpful DIY tip (I personally use Easy Off oven cleaner) but it really doesn't apply here in my thread inviting my prior customers to compare my restoration work with what the factory did back in the 60s. Granted it did go slightly off-topic recently with Zeus' posts, it still applies to Commando valve covers.

-
Back