HP gains?

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Hi guys! Recently had my Eddy's Ported by a real pro and he flowed before his work and after. So from .200 lift to .700 I gained an average of 17 CFM with big numbers in the midlift range.

For example, at .300 I picked up 22 CFM, at .400 increase of 30 CFM. Exhaust avg. gain was 11 CFM across the board.

Also he gave my Super Victor the full port with consideration that it is more street than strip.

So the dyno sheet attached (crappy pic) is at the time of the build in 2019, with some porting done by my machinist. Super Victor port matched by me as far as I could reach.

My big question is what kind of power do you all think I'm making NOW? Haven't been to the track, but I van tell you seat of pants.........it's a real handful. 3060lbs with me in it. 4 speed, 4.30 gears.

dyno before.jpg

Last edited:
Geez hope you guys can read it. Darn scanner broke. It made 576 at 6100 and 532 ft/lb at 4900. Hope that helps.

Only one way to know for sure……….go back to the same dyno and find out.

Other than that……..pick a number you’re happy with.

As long you’re happy with the difference after the work, I’d call it a win! But I do like seeing gains in the mid lift area. That’s not to say that the gains at extreme lifts don’t mean anything when the engine is winding out to peak RPM though. But strong mid lift gains will give you that “kick in the ***, seat of the pants feel” on the street.

It's just a .040 over 360, 4 inch stroker with Edelbrock heads. 11.25:1, Lunati solid roller .259/.265, .640 lift. Holley Ultra XP.

I'm not a keyboard dyno guy, but just wondered if maybe I hit that magic 600 mark that smallblocks explode:rofl:

It's just a .040 over 360, 4 inch stroker with Edelbrock heads. 11.25:1, Lunati solid roller .259/.265, .640 lift. Holley Ultra XP.

I'm not a keyboard dyno guy, but just wondered if maybe I hit that magic 600 mark that smallblocks explode:rofl:

You’re not gonna know what kind of real power it makes until you get it to a track.
As it’s a stick, it’s gonna take a lot more than normal attention to utilize whatever power it’s actually making.
It’s just my opinion that dyno numbers are near worthless, and very unreliable except for use as a reference. Take it off the dyno, take it to the track, make changes put it back on the same dyno, now you have some valuable real world data, that’s grounded in real world results..

I think i'd just drive it and enjoy it. If you only have access to the 1/8th mile, you'll only be trapping in the low to mid 5's and that mph wont give a true hp number.

I'm not familiar with your car, but it's capable of 130 plus in the qtr, and that may open up another can of worms with tech.

It’s better, not what you want to hear, but stroked LA’s need all the head flow you can get and like stated above, it really is just a number. Mine made 348 at the rear tire, but runs 119 mph at 3300 lbs. where and how is more important than the number.

I think i'd just drive it and enjoy it. If you only have access to the 1/8th mile, you'll only be trapping in the low to mid 5's and that mph wont give a true hp number.

I'm not familiar with your car, but it's capable of 130 plus in the qtr, and that may open up another can of worms with tech.

Yeah.......... tech is a problem. Had it at the track in late 2022 and was kind of surprised I got shut down. old guy said I ran too fast. "Buy an NHRA book". I'm not cutting up a real Demon 340 4 speed for a bar or bars. Maybe if it was a slant or 318 car but no way.
I do not condone what we do here locally, but track isn't that important. This area has a long, rich history of .......well....you know.

Yeah.......... tech is a problem. Had it at the track in late 2022 and was kind of surprised I got shut down. old guy said I ran too fast. "Buy an NHRA book". I'm not cutting up a real Demon 340 4 speed for a bar or bars. Maybe if it was a slant or 318 car but no way.
I do not condone what we do here locally, but track isn't that important. This area has a long, rich history of .......well....you know.

I have never understood why a car is “ cut up” if it has a roll bar in it.
They can be removed very easily. I also question anybody( not referring to you Iron Mike) who would drive around an A body making serious steam that would do so without frame connectors.
Unibody stuff doesn’t stay the same with serious power applied to it.

I wouldn't cut up any 340 4 speed car especially a demon for any silly race track.

I won’t cut up the car. Weld in bar? Sure. I can cut a bar out of the car and you would really have to look to tell it had been there. No frame connectors, but not really shocking anything. By the time you are, you should have a bar and that stiffens the car up. Don’t want the connector weight.

Have connectors welded in. Did that the first week I owned it. They can come right back out if ever needed. Not much pretzel effect here. I don't think....
Point it where you want to go, dump the clutch on the 2 step and it leaves straight as an arrow. (probably just jinxed myself there)

Have connectors welded in. Did that the first week I owned it. They can come right back out if ever needed. Not much pretzel effect here. I don't think....
Point it where you want to go, dump the clutch on the 2 step and it leaves straight as an arrow. (probably just jinxed myself there)

Having the head flow numbers before and after would help a bunch Mike. Is this possible to post?

Yep, finally found them on my phone, Sir Rumble. The first column is heads as ported by my machinist, Doug Domhoff. Second column is after the new port job.
Have no flow info on the Super Victor other that it sure looks different than when i sent it to him.
Actually Doug's hand port job back in '19, beats the actual Trick Flow numbers. so he did a pretty darn good job for a Chevy guy. The new number are pretty good. I think.

flow 1.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t know if you’ll pick up the magic 25hp. The heads have a nice improvement for sure.

Nice gains at .300-.400" plus the general gains throughout, how much hp you have gained ? If you didn't hit the 500 hp your probably pretty close. But more importantly probably gained at least across most of the power band.

Last edited:
Nice gains at .300-.400" plus the general gains throughout, how much hp you have gained ? If you didn't hit the 500 hp your probably pretty close. But more importantly probably gained at least across most of the power band.
i was at 576 before the last porting.

-
Back