Hp/torque?

-

robertr1

Reaction score
I know this must be really hard to answer, but in what Hp/torque range would my engine be in with current build?

-76 318 block with hydraulic lifters.
-66 heads flat underneath för better comp.
340 cam, no idea of year.
Edelbrock D4B manifold.
Holley 4150 Race 600cfm DP.
Ignitor kit and Flamethrower coil.
Standard headers.

I have gotten information that the 600cfm is to big for me engine and are now testing a 450cfm SP, better or worse?

Sorry for any misspelling, dont have English as first language.

Hmmm... 66 heads on a 76 block. Maybe things are different in Sweden but in the states 66 318's were Poly engines and the heads are totally different than 68 and up 318 LA heads. Also not knowing the cam makes it pretty much impossible to guess the hp as there is a big difference from the 68 340 4 spd. cam and the 73 automatic cam. And there's a few in between. Sorry but we'd need more info. Do you have the head casting numbers?

BTW: A 600 carb is just fine for a 318 but that's as big as I'd go unless it was a full race engine.

And you did great with the spelling and welcome to the board.

Addendum: I just looked at your web page and you definitely have 68 (or newer) la style heads. Great looking ride!

The blocks casting number is 4006730-318-4.
The heads casting number is 2658920-3.
Unfortunally i have no idea what 340 cam it is, i have had some contact with the guy building it 23years ago, i´ll look him up again and ask him if he knows what kind of cam it is.
And after my research the block is from -76 -79, the heads are from -66 -67, but i might have read it wrong.

And thanks for the help. :cheers:

Hmmm... 66 heads on a 76 block. Maybe things are different in Sweden but in the states 66 318's were Poly engines and the heads are totally different than 68 and up 318 LA heads. Also not knowing the cam makes it pretty much impossible to guess the hp as there is a big difference from the 68 340 4 spd. cam and the 73 automatic cam. And there's a few in between. Sorry but we'd need more info. Do you have the head casting numbers?

BTW: A 600 carb is just fine for a 318 but that's as big as I'd go unless it was a full race engine.

And you did great with the spelling and welcome to the board.

Addendum: I just looked at your web page and you definitely have 68 (or newer) la style heads. Great looking ride!

The "920" heads according to my book are 67 273/318 heads. In my earlier response I was a year off in what year the LA 318 came out. I thought it was 68 but according to my Mopar Perf. Small Block A Engine book it was 67. Again without knowing the cam It's nearly impossible to tell how much hp it is. I guess if I had a guess I'd say somewhere between 220 and 270. I know that's a broad range but that's about the best I can guess without more info. If you had head flow numbers, compression ratio and cam specs I could get pretty close. Do you know the weight and have a way to run it in the 1/4 mile and get an accurate speed in the 1/4 mile? If so you can use a calculator to get your approximate HP.

Here's a link to an online calculator

http://www.aspracing.com/dyno.htm

I just talked with the guy that built the engine 23 years ago and he didn´t rememeber what 340 cam it was.
But according to him, the guy he bought it from said that with his setup and that cam he would have about 300hp, could that be true?

The "920" heads according to my book are 67 273/318 heads. In my earlier response I was a year off in what year the LA 318 came out. I thought it was 68 but according to my Mopar Perf. Small Block A Engine book it was 67. Again without knowing the cam It's nearly impossible to tell how much hp it is. I guess if I had a guess I'd say somewhere between 220 and 270. I know that's a broad range but that's about the best I can guess without more info. If you had head flow numbers, compression ratio and cam specs I could get pretty close. Do you know the weight and have a way to run it in the 1/4 mile and get an accurate speed in the 1/4 mile? If so you can use a calculator to get your approximate HP.

Here's a link to an online calculator

http://www.aspracing.com/dyno.htm

The heads aren´t worked over, atleast not that i could se when i did i quick workover on them, same valve size as original atleast.
So about 270hp is what i can expect if it is the best 340 cam then?
Nice to know, probably will put on some 340 heads too next winter, had a couple of 3418915 heads on my mind last winter, but they needed a total workover and i didnt have the money, time or knowhow then.
Thanks for all the help :cheers:

Sure, if it's the biggest stock 340 cam and the heads were worked over some to flow more.

I had one of these a while back 318 .020 ,crane blueprint 340 cam ,234 closed chamber truck heads,headers, 600 eddy....

It felt like an honest 290hp.

920 and 234 are the same yr head but I can't remember if both are the heated water cross over type, 234 are, which mean you block it off and have uniform exhaust ports with no loss of flow by exhaust cross over.

Maybe 270 if it's the big 340 cam. The smogger 340's used a much smaller cam so if it's that one it won't make that kind of power. Sorry to say.

BTW: Do you have some high compression pistons to install when you put those 340 heads on? I ask cause they have much larger chambers and will kill the compression. From everything I've read your better off finding a set or 302's or Magnum style heads. Those 340 heads will cost alot to go through. Probably as much as a new set of EQ heads which are a nice power boosting head. Only thing is they're the magnum style and you'll need different valve train parts.

Search around and you'll find a couple of 318 threads floating right now with alot of good tips.

-
Back