Hp/tq estimate on 5.9 magnum?

-

moparmatt19

Reaction score
This will be a everyday driver. Just curious on what numbers to expect from this simple build from parts I had in the shop.
Stock rebuilt 5.9 short block
stock pistons
stock rods&crank
Mopar .028 head gaskets
new magnum heads with bowl blend short turn radius and slight runner clean up
lunati BM2 280/480 cam
RPM Air Gap intake
Holley 750 vs carb
headers
Pertronics flame thrower 3 billet distributor
This will be in a 3200 lb Dakota . Just curious on how much up and tq to expect from this.
Magazine articles say stock 5.9 mag engine with just air Gap and carb makes 300 hp with stock cam. This is not my cam of choice, but I had it already and im going to use it. Will be using 1.6 rockers so lift will be higher . Im guessing it will make 325 hp and 350 tq. What do ya'll think?

This will be a everyday driver. Just curious on what numbers to expect from this simple build from parts I had in the shop.
Stock rebuilt 5.9 short block
stock pistons
stock rods&crank
Mopar .028 head gaskets
new magnum heads with bowl blend short turn radius and slight runner clean up
lunati BM2 280/480 cam
RPM Air Gap intake
Holley 750 vs carb
headers
Pertronics flame thrower 3 billet distributor
This will be in a 3200 lb Dakota . Just curious on how much up and tq to expect from this.
Magazine articles say stock 5.9 mag engine with just air Gap and carb makes 300 hp with stock cam. This is not my cam of choice, but I had it already and im going to use it. Will be using 1.6 rockers so lift will be higher . Im guessing it will make 325 hp and 350 tq. What do ya'll think?

I would agree, right around 325ish at the flywheel, I'd think 335ish with a good tune.

Ya 325 hp seems right to me. What should a 3200lb Dakota run with traction with this engine?

I just did a similar engine in my dart. I think my cam is more agressive but if you get it to hook you might see 12s. I am hoping for somewhere in the 12s too but still working on tuning. What stall is you torque converter?

What kind of suspension are you planning to run in the Dakota? I think that's a cool idea, personally.

Well I have a 8 3/4 that I am eventually going to put in it with 4:10 posi and back half the frame for a 4 link. That was the plan for the actual engine I built for it, but that engine has to wait a little longer, it would be around 450-500 hp, but with this motor it will have the 8 1/4 with 3:55 posi and a set of cal-tracs traction bars and 10in slicks.

Im going to use a 2500-2800 stall converter, we will see where it will actually flash at. Of course it will leave harder with higher stall but this will be a everyday driver with this engine. I will be using a 3,800 dynamic converter for the other engine but will be a weekend street strip truck then.

-
Back