Hub drilling

-
.... wrecking yard prices I only took spindles and caliper brackets unless the calipers were super clean, because after core charges and everything it was cheaper to just buy rebuilt and new everything else.
yeah, new rotors and calipers are the same price the yard so unless they're 12" super cop rotors that's a pass.

spot on with everything else. if you're gonna rebuild it the 73+ disc stuff is probably cheaper than all the drum/small joint bits. it's for sure more available!

+1 vote for running it the way it is. If you're going to bother doing anything you should upgrade to the later factory disc brake setup.

I have a friend with a 440 Duster that has re-drilled axles on the back. He takes the car to the track regularly running drag radials and he hasn't broken anything.

I didn't read every reply, so that said these are my thoughts. There is no problem with drilling the rear axles/drums, and front hubs/drums from 4 inch to 4.5 inch. I have been doing it for many years and cars. I made a drill fixture to make it easier. The hub and drum are pretty critical to get correct (the new holes must be located correctly and square to the flange). The drums are not critical at all. The holes in the drums can be "sloppy" (and, yes, new drums will have to be redrilled). Must use the "A" Body small bolt pattern drums.

I have the 8.25 rear so that should already be the 4.5” rear. It’s just the front that was drilled. Does anyone know off hand what the front suspension component differences between the six and V8 would be? If I already have 10” brakes is there anything else that was different between the /6 and V8? Just torsion bars? I was getting a quote from ESPO for a full rebuild kit and the asked if I had a 6 or V8….

I have the 8.25 rear so that should already be the 4.5” rear. It’s just the front that was drilled. Does anyone know off hand what the front suspension component differences between the six and V8 would be? If I already have 10” brakes is there anything else that was different between the /6 and V8? Just torsion bars? I was getting a quote from ESPO for a full rebuild kit and the asked if I had a 6 or V8….

Maybe I skipped it, what year is your car?

The only difference in the suspension by engine is the torsion bar size. The upper ball joint size is different based on the year of the car, ‘73+ got a larger ball joint and therefore a different upper control arm.

The other change from the engine was also be year, ‘73+ V8 cars all got front disk brakes, only the /6 cars were drum/drum after ‘73.

It’s a 1969. Thank you. ESPO said the other difference is the eyebolt size on the rear leafs. Got it. Thanks

-
Back