Hug your kids every day !!!

-

'70_Duster_340

Reaction score
What a night !!! My son, 18 years old, got a call a few minutes after 10 tonight from his new girl friend, also 18 years old ... She had just totaled her '98 Jeep Cherokee ... We rushed to the scene, and thank God she crawled out of it without a scratch, and her co-worker only had a slight abrasion on his forehead... They hit a patch of ice on an otherwise bone dry road.. (ice melt run off) ... She was traveling the speed limit, and wearing her seat belt...

I'll try to post a picture later on, but I guess my only point is that sometimes we take life for granted, until something like this happens.. I mean, she took out a dozen guard rails, and wound up tight against a tree, and if not for that tree she would have wound up 50' down a steep incline into a river on her roof... The jeep is a mangled hunk of steel, but who cares ?? People matter, cars don't, and that's the bottom line ...

Thanks for listening,

Kenny

Wow Ken, glad to hear all involved are OK. Having kids behind the wheel must be a scary thing for a parent. I don't know how it feels yet; my sons are 4 and 8, but with all the teenage fatalities on the news in CT lately, it really wakes you up.
Keep an eye on those young people.

George

My friends son (17) had a wreck last week in which he rolled a Isuzu Rodeo. My friend told me he tore than vehicle to pieces with pine trees snapped off about 5 feet from the ground. But his son was alright because he had his seatbelt on. The highway man said he would be dead today if he didn't have on his seatbelt. He admitted he was speeding.

My friend was shook up I could tell. He said he didn't care anything about the vehicle because the main thing that his son was alright.

Wow Ken, glad to hear all involved are OK. Having kids behind the wheel must be a scary thing for a parent. I don't know how it feels yet; my sons are 4 and 8, but with all the teenage fatalities on the news in CT lately, it really wakes you up.
Keep an eye on those young people.

George

Yea, when they first start driving on their own, it's frightening for the first few months... And there sure have been a lot of kids killed recently ... Most of them seem to be speed and/or alcohol related, and that was the main reason I put a computer in my son's car to monitor how fast he was driving when he first got his license (best $300 I ever spent)...We would review the results in the house computer each week, and I really think it kept him honest until he got some experience under his belt..

This poor girl last night was just in the wrong place at the wrong time..She hit that patch of black ice and spun it right up onto the guard rails and into the woods...We were down that bank with flash lights trying to gather up the stuff that flew out of the jeep, mainly her purse and wallet...I shined a light over by a tree and there was a large picture of my son leaning up against a tree, that he had recently given her ... It was kind of spooky and surreal, because if he were riding with her, it could have been HIM against that tree and not just a photo ...

Scary stuff for sure .... She's a little sore this morning, I think more from the seat belt digging into her shoulder and keeping her firmly in the car, but not a scratch on her ... Very fortunate girl for sure ..

Kenny

Glad they are all ok, Mine are 2 and 4 and I have decided they wont drive or date.

Wear your seatbelts we have had 3 rollovers between my wife and two of my children the 2 of them Jeep Cherokees the last Feb 1st. when the son rolled the Grandprix on black ice. Stiff and sore and a little rug burn on his head but o.k. About 3 year ago we had an 18y.o. roll his 360 Dakota no seatbelt you can get the result. Seatbelts DO work.

IT,s great your kid is good and the other passenger is going to be ok.I wish I could have had this result 1 year ago on feb 07 2007,mrmopartech

Ok, so how many of you have been the kid in this situation?
.. when I was 16 ( 1 week and 4 days after my 16th birthday) I was in an offset head on collision in my 75 Duster. I was making a left turn at a light and a trans-am blew a red light and tagged my front passenger corner..pushed the duster 15 feet backward!! I watched the passenger of the other car smash the windshield with his forehead, and all I got was a bruised shoulder from my seatbelt and my passenger dented the dash with his knee. I was soooo upset about the car.. but when I got home (drove the duster) and told my dad that I was sorry for screwing up, he gave me a hug and said he was glad I was ok not to be having this conversation with the police (or the coroner)....man what I must have put my parents thru ( we won't even get into what happened with the motorcycle)..

The kids sure can keep our harts busy!! Creed my son was air lifted to Memphis a few years back, some rich girl got a new rice burner and Creed and his date was in the back set. Broke his pelvis and back and some ribs and a bad contution on the back of his neck.
He said, and she did too, that he seen it coming and wrapped his arms around her and they go ejected out the back. She had a bruise or two and broke a finger. The two in the front was air lifted to and hurt very badly.
One and a half years later he broke his back again and sent to Memphis.racing damned four wheelers:disgust:
He is dong fine and now racing modified stock cars and building houses.
I am the only balding brother of 5. I wonder wy!!:|

My daughter lost a very close friend a few years back in a car wreck, really shook her up. It was really hard to see her go through that, I can't imagine how tough it would be on the parents. To those here that have lost kids my heart goes out to you.

Good luck with that Adam! Don't blink because they'll be teenagers before you know it.

I know it, Its hard to believe they are as old as they are all ready.

IM000870.JPG

A good looking and happy bunch you have there AdamR.:cheers:
Keep up the good work dad.8)

Kenny, you hit it on the head. Things can happen with a blink of an eye. Cherish every moment you spent with them because it could be the last one spend with them.

Scott, I think about you and your family all the time. I also lost my son and whenever I think of him (almost daily) it reminds me that we are in the same boat. I lost Craig also in February but a different year. Peace be with you and anyone else that I don't know of that has lost a son or daugher.

Adam The guys are 100% right, I remember when Craig and Keith were that age and it seems like only yesterday. Keith turns 17, March 14th and is 6' / 195. I think it would be cool to be able to spend as much time as you are able too. I worked long hours when mine were that age.

Chuck

My son is such a pain in the ***, he's totally self-willed and sometimes I hate him! But I do try to hug him everyday and tell him I love him, something I don't recall at all from my childhood.

-
Back