Hughes 27-30 and B&M 10239 will not line up.

-

HemiTM

Reaction score
Once again I am faced with a set back. I have a Hughes 27-30 TC and a B&M 10239 FP. I think the tabs on the TC are not welded in the proper place. The reason I say that is the stock FP lines up perfectly with the B&M FP. Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_1584.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_1585.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_1586.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_1587.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 382
I could be wrong but isn't that flex plate used with a neutral balance converter( no weights on the converter).It shouldn't have a notch,

Pictures without flex plate sitting on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1588.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_1589.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 352
That torque converter has a balance weight already welded to it and the flex plate is designed to be used with a converter with no balance weight. If you spin the torque converter 180* the bolt holes will line up but of course then the balance weight will not let it pull up close. You have ordered the wrong combination. You can cut the weight off the converter and spin it 180* and it'll bolt up but the question is, is the flexplate you have correct for the engine you have?

The reason you have to spin it 180* to get the bolts to align is one of the bolts are offset. That's the way all Mopar LA's were.

Turn the flexplate 180* The bolt holes should line up then.

As others have mentioned, since the converter has weight on it, you need a neutral balanced flexplate.

The flexplate you have is for a neutral balanced converter/360. B&M saves money by cutting the weight out of the OPPOSITE side instead of adding weight. (They use to add weight on their old flexplates.)

Oops, didn't read fishy68 post all the way through!

Did you get that from Hughes? You should make sure it's a 27 spline and not a 24 spline for a 727. If it is externally balanced and a 27 spline then just ditch the B&M flexplate and run the factory one. I bet they sent you a 727 converter.

Convertor was ordered from Hughes. They swear it is for a 904, Part #27-30. The flex plate B&M from Summit. Here are some pictures with the flex plate rotated 180 degrees. I have also spoke with the gentlman that did my machine work. It is a externally balanced 360. I am leaning towards going with the factory flex plate, as it fits perfectly on the Hughes convertor.

Attachments

• IMG_1591.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 340
I am leaning towards going with the factory flex plate, as it fits perfectly on the Hughes convertor.

If you have a factory flexplate that'd be the easiest way to do it.

Again, this happened because you, or whoever orderd them, ordered the special B&M flexplate that does the balancing for you and also a converter with a balance weight on it. There is nothing wrong with either part, their just not compatible.

I didn't even know hughes would do an externally balanced converter for the 904. That's good to know, you would think they would use a different part number for the 27-30 neutral balanced and the 27-30 external balanced. Too bad I ordered that B&M flexplate yesterday and I could have bought that one off you.

I didn't even know hughes would do an externally balanced converter for the 904. That's good to know, you would think they would use a different part number for the 27-30 neutral balanced and the 27-30 external balanced. Too bad I ordered that B&M flexplate yesterday and I could have bought that one off you.

Most bigger companies will balance one for your engine at little or no extra cost. It is strange that they don't even add a -1 or something the the part #.

Hughes needs to figure out how to put weights on without them interfering with round flexplates, like B&M. I don't know of any other name brand converters like that.

Personally I prefer the stronger B&M flexplates over the OEM style "4-ear". I've seen a few OEM style crack, even the performance ones with solid ears.

I apparently did some uneducated ordering. I am going to order the Mopar P4529751AB. I don`t understand why Hughes does not make a flex plate that will work with their convertor.

Not sure but I don't think they make flexplates at all. I guess they assume you'll use a Mopar flexplate that'll work with their converter.

have you tried to slide the converter in to the trans? how about a pic of the other side so we can see the hub. they are much smaller than a 727... take a quick measure of the drive hub diameter. you will have a good combo when you get all the bugs worked out! i love 904's i run them behind all my small blocks in cars. and that B&M piece is good quality i have currently installed 3 of them in projects with the 360/904 combo. never had any problems! good luck with the build

have you tried to slide the converter in to the trans? how about a pic of the other side so we can see the hub. they are much smaller than a 727... take a quick measure of the drive hub diameter. you will have a good combo when you get all the bugs worked out! i love 904's i run them behind all my small blocks in cars. and that B&M piece is good quality i have currently installed 3 of them in projects with the 360/904 combo. never had any problems! good luck with the build
More pictures

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1597.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 320
just another thought i would remove that weight and run the parts you have already purchased..that #27-30 is correct for the 904 application. provided they sent the right parts nothing aginst hughes they make great parts but shipping mistakes happen..

yep measurement def. confirms its for a 904!!! the 727 would measure around
1 7/8" so again i say knock the weight off and run what you have!!

No just use that stock flexplate!
It's actually a good thing the B&M won't fit with the weights installed, it's not supposed to as it is the counterbalance. If it did fit, this motor would have got assembled and the weight would have been canceled out by the recessed area and the thing would have shook as if you put the stock 318 converter and flexplate behind the 360.

Actually if you look at the writing on the converter it says 27-30 but under it says 360bal. I assume that's the code they use to mean it's balanced for the 360. That's the converter you need, you just don't need the $90 B&M in addition. I'm going to reuse my stock converter, so I do need a flexplate like that.

Hughes needs to figure out how to put weights on without them interfering with round flexplates, like B&M. I don't know of any other name brand converters like that.

Personally I prefer the stronger B&M flexplates over the OEM style "4-ear". I've seen a few OEM style crack, even the performance ones with solid ears.

good point on they should balance them different for less interference on the solid plates, but if the weight wouldnt have interfered he would have bolted this together not knowing there was a problem..... then it would have been too late!!

-
Back