Hughes 5003 lifters

-

bullgary

Reaction score
I have installed these on a 1972 340 engine. I have had an issue with the lifter retaining ring popping off after a brief run period. Two different lifters. I triple checked pushrod seating during lash setting and rotation before firing up on run in stand. Lifter preload has been set at 1 turn past zero lash. I found the retaining ring laying above the lifter. The push rod was in place. These lifters are very particular due to rocker angle. Anyone else see this. Thanks
Rob Gary

Rob
I remember reading something from Hughes on this lifter? Maybe it will help?
Lifters 5003
Note: When installing these lifters in a small block make sure the push rod is seated in the cup, as shown in photo "A". If you install it in the corner of the snap ring as in photo "B" the snap ring will bend and fall out. This is a common mistake!

Image A.png

Image B.png

I have had a lot of trouble with theseet f and all the junk
Comp Hydraulic lifters. I installed them all correctly.
Tech lines were a waste of time.
Replace the retainers with the correct sized Tru Arcs like
used on the piston rings will help some.

Better yet find some old NOS Johnson Lifters.

Rob
I remember reading something from Hughes on this lifter? Maybe it will help?
Lifters 5003
Note: When installing these lifters in a small block make sure the push rod is seated in the cup, as shown in photo "A". If you install it in the corner of the snap ring as in photo "B" the snap ring will bend and fall out. This is a common mistake!

View attachment 1716136626

View attachment 1716136627
SMCARNUT,
Thanks for the info. I verified this twice then turned engine over by hand and watched before startup.
This has happened twice. I found that with this retainer, you can move it to the one side and the other lip gets unseated. I.E., The OD of the retainer is too small for the ID retaining groove. Hughes is sending a tru arc set of clips. That should do it. Thanks to all
Rob Gary

i assume you've got rockers that adjust at the pushrod? if so you may not have enough lifter preload. the 'normal' 3/4 turn ish from zero lash is for stud mount rockers. that would need to be a fair bit more when adjusting at the pushrod. just a thought and it could account for your issue as the lifter piston would be closer to the circlip.
neil.

we don't set lash at 0ne full turn , it's too much. 1/4 turn is more than enough. one full turn went out years ago, newer lifters are different.

I think hughes calls for .080 to .095 preload on their lifters. Your at about .042. If 3/8 fine thread.

i assume you've got rockers that adjust at the pushrod? if so you may not have enough lifter preload. the 'normal' 3/4 turn ish from zero lash is for stud mount rockers. that would need to be a fair bit more when adjusting at the pushrod. just a thought and it could account for your issue as the lifter piston would be closer to the circlip.
neil.
neil
thanks for the response. I agree with you. The lifter preload was .080-.125. At .125, no compression. At .080 per hughes, the lifter issue returned. finding out that the lifter travel on a variable duration lifter was .140, when the lifter bleeds down at idle, what do you do with the extra .060? :). ordered new comp cams lifters but they had the same retaining clip. sent back. ordered a set of topline 2011 lifters, HO 68 retaining clips and replaced the wire retainers in new lifters with the tru arc retaining rings. Adjusted new lifters at .040 preload, believe problem solved, runs smooth at 15" idle, quiet!! Ran with valve covers off, all lifters rotating and happy with outcome. Have a good day.
Rob

I think hughes calls for .080 to .095 preload on their lifters. Your at about .042. If 3/8 fine thread.
Yes, these lifters require more preload. I 'm using stock non-adjustable rockers in my 340 and had to measure and order longer pushrods to use the 5003's to get the correct preload.

-
Back