Hughes B.B. roller rocker noise?

-

wicked70496dart

Reaction score
Just finished freshening up my 496 and notice I now have a lot of rocker noise/chatter. Had the same noise before but with a lot less chatter. Had a valve job and new springs but all the same valve train. My only issue was the heads were resurfaced ( just cleaned up) which made my push rods tips at the rocker about .025 to .030 gap from contacting the rocker. Is this o.k.? Any other ideas why they are louder now? Rechecked the valve lash hot .018/.020 2 times using EOIC method. Noise is coming from both Banks. Oil pressure hot 70 pounds in park and 50 pounds in gear. Have no ticking at all just this chatter type noise. Thanks Matt

There is a gap between your pushrods and your rocker arms? If you have 0.030 gap on the pushrod side then of course you're going to have a noisy valvetrain. It will also break something before long.

There is a gap between your pushrods and your rocker arms? If you have 0.030 gap on the pushrod side then of course you're going to have a noisy valvetrain. It will also break something before long.

I think he is referring to the end of the pushrod to rocker body clearance.

I think he is referring to the end of the pushrod to rocker body clearance.

Yes you are correct. Here's a video of the noise ,what do you think?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjGtqFFFo6k&list=FLxMcxF_Q-VbADT0Ty2QRn6w&index=1"]Chapter 1.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Hard to tell the valve train noise from the headers. But I would suggest you pull the rocker shafts of and see if those push rods are contacting the rocker body when the valve are open. If they are you should see wear marks on the bottom side of the rockers.

Hard to tell the valve train noise from the headers. But I would suggest you pull the rocker shafts of and see if those push rods are contacting the rocker body when the valve are open. If they are you should see wear marks on the bottom side of the rockers.

had the same problem on mine. turned out the end rocker arms were tapping the mopar performance covers. not hughs exh. rockers tho. set my valve lash at .012 (cold)straight across the board, recommended .012-.018, works for me.

There are 3 things I would suspect and check first.

1. Make sure the pushrods aren't rubbing the heads.
2. As mentioned, make sure the rocker arms aren't contacting the valve covers.
3. Check the clearance between the rocker arms. I had to put shims between my Hughes rockers. If there is too much clearance they will chatter. I THINK the suggested spacing is .015". But check to be sure.

-
Back