Hughes cams - feedback on their springs/lifters?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm giving some thought to a fairly small Hughes HFT cam for my 318. Their website pretty clearly indicates their valve springs and lifters are the way to go with their cams. I have a good running 318 with good factory lifters, and this cam would be mated up with SM loaded heads with SM standard springs.

Question is for those running a Hughes cam, are their springs and lifters truly necessary, or will my lifters and springs do OK? I am not trying to squeeze every last bit of grunt from this build. A nice cruiser with a bit of spunk is the goal.

You must break in a new cam with new lifters and follow the break-in procedures. If you try to use your old lifters to save a few dollars, you’ll end up replacing the cam and everything required to get it back out.

If you want to re-use your lifters, you'll need to have them refaced- you can't just throw used lifters on a new cam without wiping it out. Balance that cost against just getting the cam & lifter package.

Hughes FT lifters are like all the others from Comp, Isky, Crower, Summit etc. Bought from a supplier & re-boxed......

There has been HUGE number of failures of FT cams & lifters because of poor lifter quality. Buy the cam, but have your factory lifters re-faced.
Have a look at the Powell Machine Company YT video on lifter failures....

Hughes FT lifters are like all the others from Comp, Isky, Crower, Summit etc. Bought from a supplier & re-boxed......

There has been HUGE number of failures of FT cams & lifters because of poor lifter quality. Buy the cam, but have your factory lifters re-faced.
Have a look at the Powell Machine Company YT video on lifter failures....
hughes supplies Johnson Hy-Lift. they are among the best in the business and i wouldn't think twice about running them.

several cam grinders i've talked to are no longer refacing lifters. reasons for declining the work varied from vendor to vendor, but just saying it's not as prevalent as before.

I'm giving some thought to a fairly small Hughes HFT cam for my 318. Their website pretty clearly indicates their valve springs and lifters are the way to go with their cams. I have a good running 318 with good factory lifters, and this cam would be mated up with SM loaded heads with SM standard springs.

Question is for those running a Hughes cam, are their springs and lifters truly necessary, or will my lifters and springs do OK? I am not trying to squeeze every last bit of grunt from this build. A nice cruiser with a bit of spunk is the goal.
i like their products, but sometimes their customer service puts me off to the point of if i'm able to find it elsewhere i'll go that route.

that being said, i like the fact that they offer a supporting cast for the star of the show and it is specifically designed to work together rather than generic pieces gathered up.

their supplied "variable duration" lifters are johnson hy-lift and when paired with a larger lift, higher duration cam work well to give some manners back to cams that may otherwise be a little rowdy.

if the SM springs meet the spec for the cam you want i don't see why you couldn't run them.

-
Back