Hughes Edelbrock heads : Smallblock

-

rrvolare

19Swinger69
Reaction score
WOW... have you guys and gals seen the flow #'s from the Fully CNC'd and Big Mouth heads ????
- Has anybody used the Big Mouths yet ?.. Pros/Cons....
- Would the Big Mouths be to much for a stock stroke engine ... .060 over ... cam upgrade .... headers .... 4bbl etc...
-Should i go with the Fully CNC'd heads instead ....
-Should i go with 2.05 or 2.08 intake valves ...
-Thanks

I had them do a set of my Edelbrocks full cnc..my engine builder had to fix THEIR shitty work!!!

First question: what are you trying to do? Street, strip, combination of both?
Second question: How much do you wish to spend?
Third question: stock stroke what? 273, 318, 340, 360?

My suggestion to you is.......sit down with a piece of paper, write down what YOU want, what YOU can afford, it shows commitment on your part. Having others TELL you what to do is the wrong approach, it leads to confusion and disappointment.

Airflow is everything, and it works for you best when it is matched to what you want to do.

Well there's one nay. You have never said what is wrong with there work and what was wrong with the heads. You just *****. Please describe.

I have the big mouths. I have not had the chance to use them yet.
To answer your questions and IMO;

IMO, no, there not to big for stock stroke 340/360 engines. Your mention of cam carb etc... upgrades should not be timid.

Going with the CNC provides enough flow for 600+ HP. (Laymans way of roughly calculating HP, head flow CFM X's 2)
If you can go with a 2.08 on the regular CNC job, go for it.
If you can only get the 2.08 with the Bug Mouth heads, that move is up to you.

You have to decide if the extra money spent the Big Mouth heads is worth it or needed.

Are you saying the flow #'s are not what they posted ?
Not trying to speak for him but you are assuming and readIng between the lines of what gen ever actuall said or is trying to say. Don't do that.

He has complained about the "Work done" before but not the actual flow numbers. He has never said what was wrong.

Are you saying the flow #'s are not what they posted ?
I made the mistake of purchasing a set in 2015. BigMouths and I went with a 2.08" valve. I do not understand why they remove the shortside altogether. My particular set flowed 284 cfm @ peak after ALOT of help. That is a LONG ways off what they advertise. I was expecting an honest 300 cfm on my bench. Still they should make some power on my personal 371 (360) @ 11.0 comp with a big solid cam and some other tricks. J.Rob

WOW... have you guys and gals seen the flow #'s from the Fully CNC'd and Big Mouth heads ????
- Would the Big Mouths be to much for a stock stroke engine ... .060 over ... cam upgrade .... headers .... 4bbl etc...
-Thanks
It would be a poor use of $$$ to buy these if you were only going to do a mild upgrade and moderate cam. The Edelbrocks out of the factory run enough flow to push 400 HP and that will set you waaay back in your seat. As said, what are you trying to build and do with the engine and car?

I had them do a set of my Edelbrocks full cnc..my engine builder had to fix THEIR shitty work!!!

What was their "shitty" work that needed fixing??

I bought a set of stage 3 CNC ported Eddy's from them back in 08, told them what I wanted and that's exactly what they gave me, very happy on this.

Hey JRob, are you getting to that build anytime soon?

I'd like to know as well because their "work" can't be fixed without welding. I still kick myself for not ordering them just bare without the pushrod holes. J.Rob

Hey JRob, are you getting to that build anytime soon?

Yes I am going to complete the build over the winter. I'm pretty excited about it as it is going to be targeting a different use other than dragstrip. Maybe I should start a thread on it? J.Rob

Your call. I myself like to get a bunch of work done first and then post a complete package thread.

Ops, fast fingers, accidentally post.... LMAO..

I started two projects and posted pictures of parts for the builds. I will get PM's on that. I would have like to been done with the builds already BUT, as life is and such.....

The wife gave me a project to do for her. Her car. I can wait but kind of hate looking at my stuff collecting dust and calling my name. LAMO

Mike will be redoing my engine ....I am dropping it off this month or January,...
I was just inquiring about the Hughes heads and if anybody had any actual results with these ...
-Engine > 340 .060 over ( sonic tested )... roughly 10.5-1.... Forged steel crank ... Balanced etc....
- Mostly street..
-cam /lifter /Pushrod /rocker upgrade...
Just looking for a "ACTUAL " aluminum head flowing over 300 ( intake )...

flow of 300 cfm is a lofty goal. Bigger is NOT always better. 300 cfm head on a 340 would = High rpm with NO low rpm power. If that's what you're after and are willing to modify your hole drivetrain to fit.......Then you're on the right track!
I'm guessing that you're not.
Listen to MRL and let him guide you into the right package, for your application.
YOu still haven't told us what that is?

Well there's one nay. You have never said what is wrong with there work and what was wrong with the heads. You just *****. Please describe.

One head had 6 pinholes in the intake runners(can not believe they sent them back to me in that condition) and the other had 1 along with some rough surface in the runners that needed to be smooth out..the pinholes were fixed by my builder I also told them I want the heads to be 65cc when my builder checked them they were anywhere from 63.5 to 65 cc's..I will NEVER be using Hughes again...

Ever since one of their cams went flat on me 15 yrs ago, even after verifying the pressures with Dave on the phone, removing the outer spring.....I've never given them my business or referal.

No help in the end, total d.....well that let's just say they have to roll the foreskin back when they talk on the phone so you can hear them.

I have a set of Hughes heads with the 2.08 intake valves and have been struggling with issues since assembly. The motor has plenty of power but one head runs a cooler temperatures then the other and the plugs look different on one side versus the other. I thought it was something with the fuel injection but replaced it with a new Fast Sportsmen System. The vacuum is lower than I would expect and the self learning on the computer leaves a weird spike at around 3K rpm. I changed cams and fuel injection in attempt to resolve issue only thing I can think is something is wrong with one of the heads. It did have epoxy in the ports when received from Hughes.

Does this sound like it could be caused by defects in the head?

Thanks,
Darin

-Thanks

If there's one thing I've noticed reading on here, be very wary of published flow numbers. Not all benches are set up the same and you'll wind up with something less than flattering. Not only that, but if I'm not mistaken, they require special offset rockers, which only increases the price.

The loose consensus here is probably most correct; define what you want to do because buying a set of heads that can support 600 hp and slapping them on a 400-450 hp engine is silly and wasteful unless you plan on upgrading later and even then, you'll be spending the money again. If you're dyin to get aluminum heads, there are a few options that don't cost a fortune and will support a 400+ hp stock stroke small block--even a 318 could do that with the right build up and not be terrible to drive.

Mike built me a 340 that makes 470 hp and 455 lb-ft and it used edebrocks with only a valve job (they were used), unless he did something I'm not aware of. 9.7:1 CR It's a REAL nice engine. Streetable as it was delivered, now totally amazing with port EFI. I have a full weight, full interior 4-speed car with 3.23's and you could drive this daily.

Hints: No stock rods, custom racetec pistons, hydraulic roller cam, beehive spring. Took a ton of weight out of the rotating assembly, which is what you need on a 340.

Based on actual experience - don't waste your time on porting. Have him build you a clone of my engine.
MRL Performance 340, WOW!

One head had 6 pinholes in the intake runners(can not believe they sent them back to me in that condition) and the other had 1 along with some rough surface in the runners that needed to be smooth out..the pinholes were fixed by my builder I also told them I want the heads to be 65cc when my builder checked them they were anywhere from 63.5 to 65 cc's..I will NEVER be using Hughes again...

Thank you!
Pictures by chance?

It did have epoxy in the ports when received from Hughes.
Does this sound like it could be caused by defects in the head?

Thanks,
Darin

Darin, core shift is a ever present issue. Who knows how many molds they have for this head!?!?!?!?
Getting a head(s) backwith epoxy in them is normal when they break through and if it wasn't done, then I'd say **** work, shiot place. In the case of stroked 340, the pin holes, could, and I stress could have been missed because they were small and/or the person doing the work did not pay attention like they should have. His heads should have come back welded and/or epoxied as needed.

IF it were my house, there would be a disclaimer stating such work may be done IF the head has core shift and doesn't take to the CNCprogram. You would be charged accordingly. BUT, it would be right!

Let it be said that Hughes is competent and can produce exceptional product. I read a few of these comments above & think of how many customers with good results there are also.

In general I am sure most of us are aware that in todays day & age of the Google review, or the Yelp rating we see that mostly those who want to criticize are the ones that post. Rarely the positive rating actually gets posted. Its just the way it seems to work.

So let it be known that my Hughes experience was/is good on my machine worked 408 & full ported Edelbrock top end.

-
Back