Hughes retro hydraulic roller lifters

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
I have a set if these on my new 410 stroker build and now matter how I adjust them they are loud. Has anyone else used these with same issues. How did you remedy this if it can be done. I called Morel who actually makes these for Hughes Engines and he said they should have no noise . He told me to use a different viscosity oil and more preset then what Hughes says bit still noisy

At the Risk of me sounding like an idiot; are you sure it's the hydraulics causing the noise?
Obviously you have narrowed it down to the valve train. But what about rocker to spring clearance, pushrod to tunnel clearance, or valve to piston clearance? Or even rocker to shaft or rocker to rocker clearance. Or even the link-bars. And finally are the lifters staying deep enough in the lifter bores to not lose their oil-pressure?

At the Risk of me sounding like an idiot; are you sure it's the hydraulics causing the noise?
Obviously you have narrowed it down to the valve train. But what about rocker to spring clearance, pushrod to tunnel clearance, or valve to piston clearance? Or even rocker to shaft or rocker to rocker clearance. Or even the link-bars. And finally are the lifters staying deep enough in the lifter bores to not lose their oil-pressure?
I have the same problem with my comp cams retro roller hydro lifters.

I have the same problem with my comp cams retro roller hydro lifters.
you can tighten the compcams hyd. rollers down 3/4 turns, and it will help. I ended up going solid roller on my 406, and it was quieter than the hyd. !

you can tighten the compcams hyd. rollers down 3/4 turns, and it will help. I ended up going solid roller on my 406, and it was quieter than the hyd. !
Mine tics after its warm and shut off. I'm gonna cut the top out of a shitty chrome valve cover and check it that way while it's running. It's a new engine. 416

whoa; that's a little extreme! But.......that's one way I guess.
Noise is usually from two or more pieces of metal banging into eachother. This usually leaves visible scaring.
FWIW
I once found a rocker arm banging into the oil-filler baffle. The scaring was there. About 30 seconds later, the cover went back on, with the baffle slightly modified.And no more ticking.

Last edited:
I have Hughes Hyd. Rollers in my 408, but they are the Magnum ones. Not sure if it makes a difference, but they are quiet. They have 2 full turns of preload from zero lash. It revs to 6700 rpm, but not much more as the trans shifts at 6500 rpm unless the fluid is cold, then a touch higher.

-
Back