Hughes Whiplash Camshaft

-
I would love to see 3x1bbls on 3 separate intakes. Not only would it looks amazing, I think it would solve some fuel distribution issues. the motor would have to have some work done to support it though.

3x1 barrels on separate intakes. This is what we australians have been doing for years on six cylinders. 3 x 2inch SU carbs, even holden had 3 x stromberg CD carbs on there toranas from the factory, I think 1 !/2 on the 186 and 1 3/4 on the 202 Torana GTR XU1s

I wanna see 6 1 barrels. Wouldn't be hard to DO but it might be tough to tune. Maybe like 6 hilborn EFI injectors. That might be cool.

I can't find the picture, but Richard (fopar) used 6 small carbs on his engine. Either snowmobile, or motorcycle carbs.
Here you go.

p1000283-jpg.jpg

p1000282-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I can't find the picture, but Richard (fopar) used 6 small carbs on his engine. Either snowmobile, or motorcycle carbs.
Here you go.

View attachment 1715636677

View attachment 1715636678

How does it run. That looks sweet as hell. my question is....do all the carbs operate together or are they set up progressive. it seems to me they would work better if they all work in unison since they are smaller carbs. that setup probably sounds sick!! Beautiful work.

How does it run. That looks sweet as hell. my question is....do all the carbs operate together or are they set up progressive. it seems to me they would work better if they all work in unison since they are smaller carbs. that setup probably sounds sick!! Beautiful work.
Those look like motorcycle cv carbs with individual runners. I’ve spent countless hours trying to synchronize just two of those- only seen six at once on the Honda CBX. Richard has a real gift or some sorcery to synch 6!

Those look like motorcycle cv carbs with individual runners. I’ve spent countless hours trying to synchronize just two of those- only seen six at once on the Honda CBX. Richard has a real gift or some sorcery to synch 6!
Yup they look like Mukuni motorcycle carbs, I used those VW carb synchronizing on my old bikes carbs what a big *** difference after!

This is the setup I truly want to run. I love the look of it. I am so happy to see that two factory air cleaners fit. it looks amazing. I am looking mainly for bottom end grunt. My little wagon is not going to be built to out run an ls or anything but I do want better red light to red light performance. I prefer more torque over hp personally. i have been looking at building a "long rod" /6 ever since I got the car from my brother. it is mostly all original and I really don't want to V8 swap it. I have fallen in love with the slant. I guess I need to just buy Dutra's book and do some more reading. I don't expect to have a super choppy idle but a little bump would be nice.

Sorry for being so late to the party in this thread, the fall was very busy for me and I was rarely logged in. The blue Dart and video are mine. I was/am very disappointed in that “Whiplash” cam.
I called their tech line and asked about it... saying I just wanted to maybe sound like it’s a 273 HiPo car while idling, not worried about anything else. The guy said “it’ll sound like a built 440”. Boy was I disappointed. I will say however that the combo does run good and has good drivability once warmed up (more on that in a minute). I can easily bark 2nd gear via a power-shift with the 4 speed and 3.55’s (as the 7.25 hangs on for dear life.). If you decide to run the duel Offy it looks really cool and draws a crowd but be aware that it’s a bi**h to cold-start when it’s below 50° or so. (Think tunnel-ram on a way over-cammed V8 with no vacuum in the winter). There is no easy way to run the chokes on the 1920’s on this intake unless you go with manual cables. Lastly to cover another point I seen in this post, there is a very small crossover between the plenums, about a 1/2”x 1” opening thats above the heat stove crossover. I’d hesitate to try only 1 carb at cruise, I’d think the far 3 cylinders might lean out and nuke themselves.
Hope this info is helpful

Back on the subject of the Slant Six Whiplash cams from Hughes,,
At last springs Indy Cylinder Head swap meet, March of 2020. I stopped by the Hughes booth and spoke with Dave. He told me that the Whiplash slant six cams use Mopar cam lobe masters that are designed to operate with the Mopar .903 diameter lifter. Dave mentioned that he has other Mopar cam lob masters and could custom grind other lifts and durations into slant six cams.
Using a Mopar lob should give the valve a faster opening ramp than a lob designed for a Chevy lifter, as Chevy lifters are smaller. Faster valve opening will allow the engine to breath better.
I believe what Doug’s RV 10 and RV 15 cams had going for them was they used Mopar cam lobes. I also believe that Erson ‘lost’ the Mopar lobes, and that is why Erson no longer offers Dougs original RV grinds.
I would be willing to bet that the lobs that Oregon grinds into their version of Doug’s slant six RV cams are Chevy masters and do not take advantage of the larger Mopar lifter diameter.
And Rusty, look at how those Hughes Wiplash cams have the lash specified.
That is tighter than most mechanical cams. Removing lash will get the valve opening sooner and closing later, that action won’t show up in the duration at .050 numbers. Not saying it’s a good idea to lash that tightly, but when I asked Dave about it he said it is working and they have seen no issues.

Last edited:
I didn't think that erson was still around. I haven't heard much about them in present tense in a while, all "back then" stories of people who have run their parts.

I didn't think that erson was still around. I haven't heard much about them in present tense in a while, all "back then" stories of people who have run their parts.
And it is then likely that when Erson went away is when the master lobes that Doug used on his RV cams got lost.

Back on the subject of the Slant Six Whiplash cams from Hughes,,
At last springs Indy Cylinder Head swap meet, March of 2020. I stopped by the Hughes booth and spoke with Dave. He told me that the Whiplash slant six cams use Mopar cam lobe masters that are designed to operate with the Mopar .903 diameter lifter. Dave mentioned that he has other Mopar cam lob masters and could custom grind other lifts and durations into slant six cams.
Using a Mopar lob should give the valve a faster opening ramp than a lob designed for a Chevy lifter, as Chevy lifters are smaller. Faster valve opening will allow the engine to breath better.
I believe what Doug’s RV 10 and RV 15 cams had going for them was they used Mopar cam lobes. I also believe that Erson ‘lost’ the Mopar lobes, and that is why Erson no longer offers Dougs original RV grinds.
I would be willing to bet that the lobs that Oregon grinds into their version of Doug’s slant six RV cams are Chevy masters and do not take advantage of the larger Mopar lifter diameter.
And Rusty, look at how those Hughes Wiplash cams have the lash specified.
That is tighter than most mechanical cams. Removing lash will get the valve opening sooner and closing later, that action won’t show up in the duration at .050 numbers. Not saying it’s a good idea to lash that tightly, but when I asked Dave about it he said it is working and they have seen no issues.

Well, I don't know what Dave's thinkin is. He had what I considered some "pretty good" grinds before his recent change. I have the largest solid grind he offered from the old grind list before he changed it. It's bigger than the old slant Whiplash cam. Now their slant Whiplash cam is 206 @ .050, so I don't know what Hughes' ideas are there.

Erson HAD a really good grind I WAS lookin at but they are now all gone, so I guess our only option now are custom grinds. ....and it'll really work out better that way, anyway......the only drawback is the time to actually GET the camshaft. If you are building something where an off the shelf grind would suffice, then there's no option there, with the exception of Comp and all those grinds SUCK. I'll tell you what I've always wanted. I want a 68 340 4 speed grind in a slant six core.

I was looking at a couple "Howard's" cams about 6 months ago that I had seen on EPay. but I think I have convinced myself that I want to send my original cam away to Oregon and have it turned into one of their #819's. this is for a slant going into a truck, ahead of a 727 and 3.21 gears. and to start with anyways, a Super 6 manifold stack with the exhaust outlet opened up// as Rusty had posted a few months ago.

well erson has one cam still Available and it is this one..
  • Advance:
  • Application:
    • 1960-1980 CHRYSLER/DODGE/PLYMOUTH 170/198/225
  • Brand:
    • Erson Cams
  • Cam Type:
    • MECHANICAL FLAT TAPPET
  • CID:
  • Duration @ .050:
    • 242/246
  • Duration Advertised:
    • 286/294
  • Grind Number:
    • HI-FLOW AM
  • Gross Lift:
    • .510/.510
  • Lobe Center:
  • Make:
    • CHRYSLER
  • Model:
    • DODGE DART, PLYMOUTH VALIANTS
  • Part Name:
    • Engine Camshaft
  • RPM Range:
    • 3800-6800
  • Valve Lash:
    • .022/.022
    • E.T. Brackets. Dodge Darts,Plymouth Valiants and other Chrysler products seeking mid-range torque and top end horsepower need modified cylinder heads, aftermarket aluminum 4 barrel manifold with up to600 CFM carburetion, 1 5/8” primarytube header and low gears

-
Back