Hurricane Debby now headed straight for Tallahassee

-

65 Cuda 340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't expect it will still be a hurricane (actually, it's not yet, but is expected to be a Cat 1 by the time it makes landfall) by the time it travels 30 miles inland to where we are, so not expecting major damage, but trees and branches will fall and power will be out for a while.

Gonna fill my bath tub with water so we'll be able to flush our toilets. Otherwise, not really doing anything to prepare. We do have a generator, so we can power our refrigerator and freezer.

We just came back from our log cabin near the Okefenokee swamp in SE Georgia yesterday. Looks like after the storm leaves here, it will head straight to our cabin.

1722811482346.png

A few years back, we had a hurricane pass over us, it was a Cat 5 when it made landfall, but by the time it reached us it was down to a Cat 1. We live in a very wooded area, every one has two acres or more. My wife and I sat on our back porch and watched the trees in the yard behind us blow around. Every now and then, we'd hear a "crack," and then it would fall with a "whoomp." We didn't lose any trees, but had small branches and leaves all over the yard that I had to clean up. Plus we were without power for many days. That was before we had a generator.

Worst hurricane I've ever been in was the summer of 1970 in Corpus Christi Texas. Hurricane Celia. I was on the naval base there. 130 mph sustained winds, gusts up to 180. Tore up the base. And the town, too. Scary stuff!

I had to work in Crawfordville for a week or so after a hurricane on about the same path went thru. I think it was around 2017 or 2018, can't remember. Dook Energy FL ran us back and forth between Tallahassee and Apalachicola all day trying to decide where to send us. I had to drive on that road that's 10 feet from the Gulf of Mexico twice in one day.....as it made landfall. We got sent to Crawfordville the next day, and they like to have never gave us the go ahead to work. :BangHead: That bunch is very frustrating to work with. Good luck to all y'all in the path.

Praying the winds will slow down and the storm will speed up and get through quickly.

Hurlburt Field went to HURCON 5 on Friday but probably canceled that since it stayed east.

It's a hurricane now, 75 mph winds. Expecting 85 by landfall. Fortunately for us (but not for those east of us) the storm looks like it will pass Tallahassee to the right, not only missing us but putting us on the weaker side of the storm.

It passed us by to the east, had rain but not so terribly much and wind was not too bad.

But our ground was still soaked from an 11 inch downpour we got a couple of weeks ago and near daily rain since. One of our oak trees fell victim to the soggy ground and tumbled to the ground just after daylight this morning. More of a cleanup job than I want to tackle, so will probably pay someone to do it. How soon I'll be able to do that is another matter, since I'm sure all the tree guys will be busy for a while. At least it's not blocking the driveway.

1722914275275.jpeg

We have been without power since six am, but when it finally stopped raining, I hooked up the generator, so we have electricity to our refrigerator, freezer, internet, computers and television. Maybe get full power restored in the next day or two.

It passed us by to the east, had rain but not so terribly much and wind was not too bad.

But our ground was still soaked from an 11 inch downpour we got a couple of weeks ago and near daily rain since. One of our oak trees fell victim to the soggy ground and tumbled to the ground just after daylight this morning. More of a cleanup job than I want to tackle, so will probably pay someone to do it. How soon I'll be able to do that is another matter, since I'm sure all the tree guys will be busy for a while. At least it's not blocking the driveway.

View attachment 1716285775

We have been without power since six am, but when it finally stopped raining, I hooked up the generator, so we have electricity to our refrigerator, freezer, internet, computers and television. Maybe get full power restored in the next day or two.
If that were a Red Oak, you'd set for BBQ wood for a while.

If that were a Red Oak, you'd set for BBQ wood for a while.
I'm not an oak expert, but my guess it's what we around here call a "water oak," a relatively short lived, fast growing oak that's common in this area. Also common for falling over without any warning while still looking healthy. Anyway, Wikipedia says a water oak is a kind of red oak. Whether the same as a red oak out where you are, I don't know. But maybe someone in my neighborhood will want it.

-
Back