Hurricane Helene

-
Our place in Port Charlotte, FL dodged a bullet for once. We lost our roof in Ian a couple years ago, Al is pretty familiar with that one. The entire house had to be gutted back to bare cinder block and stud walls and completely rebuilt. Work was finally finished this spring. We are on the canals at the NE end of Charlotte harbor and the entire neighborhood was inundated by Helene. Our house is nine feet above sea level and the water reached about 8.5' and was lapping against the walls. Side patio and front stoop were under water. Luckily the floor slab is another 6" up and water didn't get in the house. All the neighbors across the street are slightly lower and had 6-12" of water in their houses. I can't believe how much water got pushed up the harbor by that storm. Our family has owned that place since 1956 and that is the closest we've come to flooding. Every other time was wind damage. What a kick in the nutz after dealing with Ian, which affected every house in the neighborhood to one degree or another. We can't get down there for several weeks but have offered our neighbors use of our house as they need while theirs are drying out.

Our place in Port Charlotte, FL dodged a bullet for once. We lost our roof in Ian a couple years ago, Al is pretty familiar with that one. The entire house had to be gutted back to bare cinder block and stud walls and completely rebuilt. Work was finally finished this spring. We are on the canals at the NE end of Charlotte harbor and the entire neighborhood was inundated by Helene. Our house is nine feet above sea level and the water reached about 8.5' and was lapping against the walls. Side patio and front stoop were under water. Luckily the floor slab is another 6" up and water didn't get in the house. All the neighbors across the street are slightly lower and had 6-12" of water in their houses. I can't believe how much water got pushed up the harbor by that storm. Our family has owned that place since 1956 and that is the closest we've come to flooding. Every other time was wind damage. What a kick in the nutz after dealing with Ian, which affected every house in the neighborhood to one degree or another. We can't get down there for several weeks but have offered our neighbors use of our house as they need while theirs are drying out.
Glad to hear you dodged the bullet !
We rebuilt and sold our place in St James City after "Ian" we still keep in contact with friends there. Our old place has gotten water in it 3 times now since we sold. Seams things are just getting worse. Just sold the place in the North Carolina mountains . Curious about what it got.
This is just after a normal rain !
20240109_115802.jpg

I'm up in Cincinnati. The wind knocked down two 50' + trees. The one missed the house by (---) this much. It did get the back deck. The top of the tree took out about 4' of deck railing, several chairs are bent up and a glass top table is destroyed. It also destroyed a really nice pop up that we had out there.
We didn't loose power on my street, but there was close to 200k out at one point yesterday.
It's a mess, but nowhere as bad as the folks in North Carolina and Georgia seemed to get it.
The storm is parked over top of Paducah Ky now and throwing a lot of rain up my way.
sorry to here about lose of property but glad you are okay and dry.

We just got a ton of rain and wind here, but no flooding in our area.

lots of winds and rains here in southern Indiana nothing major. Hope all of our TN and NC and Florida friends are all ok

-
Back