Hurst shifter pic?

-

Airfix

Reaction score
Just hooked up my shifter today, will shift 1-2 and 3-4 but can't get the lever far enough to the left to move forward and engage reverse, just wants to select 1-2.
It's got fresh grease in it so looks like it's been apart. (Bought the car in pieces).
Is it possible the part that the lever slots into has been assmembled 180 degrees off?
If any body has there out or the boot removed appreciate a picture of the top of the shifter.
Iv'e searched the net and no decent pics available also my shop manual has no info.
Thanks.

Did you use an alignment pin when installing the rods?

Just looked in my shop manaul, looks like a clamp which just keeps all levers lined up, correct?
I'll disconnect the rods and try to figure a way to line them up and clamp them.

Look at the bottom edge of the shifter housing at about 6 o'clock. There may be a small upside down "U" in the housing. There will be a hole in each shift arm that you can slide a rod or even an allen wrench through to hold them in line using the "U".

Also, the reverse lever on the tranny is it pointing up? If you have it pointing down then reverse is going to be over to the left and down next to second gear.

Attached for your reference - hope it helps.

Kory

DoneLinkage (Small).jpg

In the above picture look at the metal plate just under the shifter boot, the plate with the 2 visible bolt heads.... look at the bottom edge. See that little tab in the center on the bottom? There's corrosponding holes in all three shifter levers. Slide an allen wrench in there and adjust the lenght of the rods while everything is in neutral. Once that's done, move the shifter into the forward and rearward gears and adjust the stops so the are JUST SHY of touching when your in either 1-3 & 2-4 gears. Your done.

But, where ARE your adjusters in this picture!?!?! Looks like your shift rods are non-adjustable...and you have to Mongo them into position, such as bending! Anyone care to explain these rods? Are these the factory pieces? I have a complete set of Hurst rods in my car and the ends that connect to the base of the shifter have a threaded end that the pivots spin on. PIA to take them apart to adjust, but bulletproof once it's done.
8)

In the above picture look at the metal plate just under the shifter boot, the plate with the 2 visible bolt heads.... look at the bottom edge. See that little tab in the center on the bottom? There's corrosponding holes in all three shifter levers. Slide an allen wrench in there and adjust the lenght of the rods while everything is in neutral. Once that's done, move the shifter into the forward and rearward gears and adjust the stops so the are JUST SHY of touching when your in either 1-3 & 2-4 gears. Your done.

But, where ARE your adjusters in this picture!?!?! Looks like your shift rods are non-adjustable...and you have to Mongo them into position, such as bending! Anyone care to explain these rods? Are these the factory pieces? I have a complete set of Hurst rods in my car and the ends that connect to the base of the shifter have a threaded end that the pivots spin on. PIA to take them apart to adjust, but bulletproof once it's done.
8)

Those look like all the factory adjusters I've seen while researching my A833OD conversion. If you look on the aft ends of the 1-2 and 3-4 rods and the fore end of the reverse rod, the rod itself is threaded and the fitting spins to the correct location on it. I'm really considering modding the rods when I do mine up and putting greasable heim joints with locknuts on them...

Thanks for the help everybody, found the "U", used an allen key as suggested, I had hooked up the rods without proper alignment, all good now though, this place is great.
Garry

Glad to hear this Gary. In the attached picture it didn't look like the rods were adjustable. My mistake....

-
Back