Hurst Shifter Rebuild?

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Is it worth restoring a Hurst shifter? Its out of a 2nd Gen Barracuda. The transmission and shifter had been sitting outside for several years before it was moved in the garage. I'll post picture of the shifter on the weekend for a better opinion. Brewer's Performance has a $100 master rebuild kit for it. My question is, is it cost effective to rebuild it?

Its rusted solid.

ForSale061.jpg

ForSale063.jpg

ForSale064.jpg

either brewers or Passion in PA - both at carlisle but I used Passion
just purchase a rebuilt unit and give them core for value - same with shifter handle

I took it to Passion and he said it was rebuild-able, so they rebuilt it, he is only 45 min from me. Its in my Duster now and works great. So to answer my own question it was worth it.

hey jcg...

your shifter looks worse than it probably is.

i just disassembled and cleaned up a mid-60's hurst "super shifter" which i believe was either the precursor of hurst's "competition plus" or the race version of the competition plus. you could easily buff/sand/clean up the outer case of your shifter without much problem. as to the inside mechanism itself, you can probably clean that up also if you are fairly mechanically inclined. the hurst design is simple but it is unique. once you remove the bolt "tubes" going through the shifter housing, the inside will slide out of the housing. be sure to take a number of close up pics of your shifter before you take it apart. the parts have to go back EXACTLY the same way they came out!! inside are three shifter "bars", a "cam" type of bolt that slides through each of these shifter bars and one or two very thin spacer plates. clean up and polish all of these parts, grease and reassemble. follow your pre-disassembly pics to make sure you get the shifter plates in the right directions. you CANNOT put this shifter together just by looking at the parts and imagining how they should work. !! there are several very good hurst shifter rebuild videos on youtube and you can probably do this rebuild in a few hours.

it's up to you, you can probably rebuild this shifter yourself, have someone else do it or get another one for $150 to $300. but DON'T just through this shifter away - it's probably worth $50-$100 in its current condition on ebay.

hope this helps a bit.
jim coster, pittsburgh, pa

I have a few shifters Im thinking of rebuilding. Anyone have feedback/reviews on quality of parts(the 2 springs, and the thin "shim" plates)?
Also, has anyone tried Por15 on these pieces? Or should I just prime n paint?

-
Back